PDA

View Full Version : Router options

hrshie3
05-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Has anyone had experience using the colombo router vs. the porter cable.

Is anyone using 220 router other then the colombo

ahmed
11-20-2003, 02:41 AM
Hi All,

I am interesting to get a ShopBot 9648 soon but I need your advice to choose the accessory, which I need, and the suitable router.
I’ll used the Shopbot in cutting and engraving as start so,
Should I need to get proximity switches for repeated work.
Should I need to get variable speed router to cut different kind of materials.
Please, tell me which router should I take

Power supply, which available for me now is 220V single phase and soon three phases, will be available

Thanks in advance

rgbrown@itexas.net
11-20-2003, 05:35 PM
Ahmed,

Most folks on this forum are in North America. Here, we have 110V Single phase power for what I would guess is the most popular router, the Porter-Cable 7518 Variable speed router. I doubt it is available in your country. Other folks use higher-powered VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) Spindle motors. They are much more expensive.

I would recommend the proximity switches. I hope this helps. I am curious as to the country where this machine is to find a new home.

Ron

pappy
11-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Ahmed,

There is another option available. Porter Cable makes a model 7819 router that is for use outside the U.S. It is 220v 50 cycle and is the equivalent of the 7518.

ahmed
11-21-2003, 01:35 AM
Ron, Pappy,

Thanks for your fast response,
Yes, after my searching I didn’t find 220V variable speed (only I found single speed) but I’ll search again to get the Porter Cable model 7819 which equivalent to the 7518. Also, I’ll try to get it from my country (Port cable or any other kind) if it is possible and if the installation procedure is standard (the same) in most of routers. It wills very nice if I can get the higher-powered VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) Spindle motors but I guess that I am not yet ready for it.

For the proximity switch, if you please, I need more detail for its functionality because, I didn’t understand it clearly from the articles which I get from the net. So, if you know any web-article or any web talking about it please, let me know.

By the way, you have now a friend in Egypt willing by CNC routers and specially the ShopBot

Thanks,

Ahmed

gerald_d
11-21-2003, 02:55 AM
Another African! *waves across the continent*

Hi Ahmed, I would suggest buying a popular router from Egypt, because you will need spare parts (like bearings and brushes) at some time.

Ron Brown
11-21-2003, 06:56 AM
Good Advice Gerald....

ahmed
11-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Thanks Gerald I'll do it

jay_mack1@hotmail.com
11-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Ahmed,

The proximity switch kit, is a set of switches that you attach to the x and y carriages. They electronically spot "targets" that you place upon set up. After you have them located, you do a little math and keyboard control of the ShopBot to locate your 0,0. Then enter these numbers into the program that homes the shopbot in. I may have made this sound confusion and difficult, but its quite simple and I am happy that I got them with my ShopBot. It makes me feel more confident in my placement, especially after I've made a few little human "nut behind the wheel" incidents. Its worth the money.

Sincerely,

Jay

mikea@mts.net
11-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Ahmed

If we had to buy another router I would get one that you can attach a variable speed control to so you can slow it down for drilling. we have the 5 speed Porter and although it is a good router the slowest it can go is 10,000 rpm which is too fast for drilling. we have a smaller Makita and Hitatchi which we can dial down to any speed using the speed which they plug into.. the porter won't work when attached to the variable speed controll. Just my two cents worth

Mike

ahmed
11-28-2003, 01:44 AM
Hi Stickman, Thanks for this clarification

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your suggestion, but what about the torque in low speed if I used the variable speed. Is it good enough to cut?

Ahmed

rgbrown@itexas.net
11-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Amed,

I have had little or no problem with router torque on my variable speed router.

Ron

gerald_d
11-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Ahmed, you are quite correct, when you decrease the speed with an electrical controller, the torque does decrease as well. (with belts and pulleys, as on a drill press, the torque will increase when the speed is decreased).

It all depends on the size of hole, and the type of material that you want to drill. Our router is a variable speed, but we have not reduced the speed for any job in the last 2 years.