PDA

View Full Version : Young Botter vs. Vacuum Table

ageofglow
08-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Ok; so I'v3 been assigned the job of putting a vacuum table on out PRT96 Shopbot for the signage company I work for. Most of our signage is cut out of full sheets of HDU (.5"-2"), Extira, or small-gauge soft aluminum.

I've got the just of everying, weighing out the pro's, con's, and prices. My intended setup is as-follows...

On the metal frame is the standard plywood sheet with 6 2.5" holes trilled through for the 2" vacuum tubes to run.

The Plenum board would be 3/4" MDF, with 1/4" channels routed 1/8" deep in the pattern, and circle holes cut out for fittings (think floor drains, but sealed). After everything is routed, I'd pull the sheet, have the whole thing spayed with clearcoat; remount and surface the top.

Next, bead silicone around the various chambers, counter-sink and screw a 4x8 of double-surfaced LDF to the MDF as the spillboard.

Finally, run all the piping straight down to the X-axis, attach them with a plenum, and throw a Fein III on it.

From my reading on the forum, the mentioned setup -should- provide all the hold-down I need, provided I leave a small amount of material and use a razor-knife to remove my parts.

If I am incorrect in my assumptions, or there are any huge problems with my intended setup; please post.. help a young botter out!

~CE Forsythe
Sharp Signs Inc.

beacon14
08-11-2006, 12:12 AM
leave out the screws on the LDF

when you set the silicone run the vacuum with a sheet of melamine on top of the spoilboard to block the airflow