PDA

View Full Version : Super-Zero Fixture Revisited

beacon14
04-06-2008, 03:31 AM
I wanted to post this in this thread (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/27/23753.html?1196399983) but it's been so long the thread is archived and closed. I finally had a reason to overcome the inertia of unfamiliarity and incorporate the "super-zero" fixture into a jig I recently made. I've had it for what, almost 6 months but for the work I do everyday it never seemed worth the trouble to figure out how to use it. Anyway it seems to work just fine with one little problem which I'll get to.

For this fixture (for routing dovetail joinery based on Gary Campbell's recent post (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/20164/28434.html).) I wanted an easy way to set the X and Y axis locations to the jig's fences. I routed a recess to hold the super-zero to a repeatable location and it seems to be able to find the center of the hole repeatably to within .001 or .002 inch. I would have liked it if the hole edges were smoother but I don't guess it will make a big difference.

The glitch I mentioned was in the software. Not sure if there is something different about my computer or my ShopBot but the way the program was written the movement of the axis DID NOT STOP when the stylus contacted the edge of the hole. Even though I had tested the operation of the input switch I hadn't thought do do a dry run on a flat surface, so when the stylus made contact with the edge and TRIED TO KEEP GOING it jambed the super-zero into the edge of the recess, severely straining the z-axis and bending the stylus while I frantically mashed the space bar and waited for the motor to stall out. Needless to say I was not happy. Anyway after calming down I re-wrote the code to ensure the movement would stop when expected, tested it, and it's working fine. Like Denver I grabbed the wire and alligator clip which I was not using from my z-zero plate.

So to sum up, watch out for that file but the device does work as advertised.

mrdovey
04-06-2008, 01:28 PM
David...

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you had. There were initial problems of the sort you describe that involved incompatabilities between ShopBot's V2 and V3 control programs - which I addressed by producing a version of the SuperZero software for each version. I can't help wondering if you weren't perhaps using the wrong version for your control program.

The V2 software was debugged on my system, and several people reported that the V3 software was working well on their 'Bots. As far as I know, there haven't been any further issues until now.

The machining of the first batch of SuperZero plates was done on my PRT and was a cosmetic disaster (although that didn't seem to affect performance.) I was sufficiently displeased with the finish that I went to a local machine shop and had the next batch CNC cut on a 10HP Cincinnati-Milacron machine. The newer blocks are as pretty as the originals were rough.

One of the suggestions I made was to take a little time to play with the block and the software to familiarize yourself with its operation. I guess I need to underline and strengthen that suggestion so that this kind of problem can be caught early and dealt with quickly.

Somewhere, I've archived all the posts from the now-archived thread. I'll extract what I think people need to know from those posts and add the info to my web pages.

If you bent or damaged one of your probes, I'll be happy to trade a brand new one. In addition...

April Special for all SuperZero CustomersIf you own one of the original (rough) blocks I cut on my 'Bot, you're invited to trade it for one of the brand new (prettier) ones. Contact me by e-mail for details.

knight_toolworks
04-06-2008, 02:31 PM
I had the same problem. but I have had problems with the newest control software anyway. so I am still running the older control software.

beacon14
04-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Morris, that is a magnanimous offer. You have mail.

Thanks, David B.

mrdovey
05-12-2008, 12:03 PM
[ final comments ]

Not so magnanimous - I just wanted people to be happy with what they got.

Several people expressed interest in accepting my offer to trade their original SuperZeros for the better-machined versions, but only David's showed up. His SuperZero and the original probe have been replaced.

Scott Worden has decided to include a version as a part of his product line. Rather than engage in a rush to the bottom, I'll wish Scott good luck with his new product and leave future innovations to his obviously capable hands.

As I mentioned in my original forum post, I planned to use the proceeds from SuperZero sales to fund development of a solar (heat) powered pump for water supply, irrigation, and flood recovery in developing areas of the world. The funds received enabled us to increase the capacity of the pump to about 500 gal/hr and we expected to increase that further (to over 1100 gal/hr) sometime this summer. Without prospect of future funding, the project is being dropped. Perhaps some other innovator will succeed where I could not.

To all who ordered, thank you.

...Morris

evan
05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Morris,
Even at 500 gal/hr it sounds as if you have a solar (heat) powered pump that could prove quite useful in the developing world. I'm sorry to hear the project is being dropped. Perhaps you'll be able to pick it up at a later date or market it as is now and use those proceeds to further your goal of 1100+ gph.

beacon14
05-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Morris,

Thanks for replacing the Super-Zero and the probe. The new version looks and feels like a professionally made device. It has been a pleasure doing business with you.

David B.

mrdovey
05-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Evan...

I hadn't intended to post to the forum again - but after seeing last night's server report of 580 delivered "404 - page not found" responses, decided that it might be more difficult to walk away from the project than I'd expected.

Just so that you know, the market for that pump was not expected to produce any revenue at all - the people who need it the most are those least able to buy (even the power/fuel for existing technology). If you're interested, you can read a "project farewell" on this page (http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/StirlingProject.html).

...Morris

evan
05-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Morris,
I wasn't implying that you were trying to make money off those who could least afford it. How ever I know that R&D is not free and needs to be funded. Actually I was thinking that perhaps some relief agencies or Gov. agencies might purchase them and distribute them accordingly, of course I wasn't thinking about how "blind" and/or short sighted agencies tend to be. I appreciate your contributions to this forum and the effort (both time and money) you put into the pump project. Your generosity (all the info and projects you share on you web site) is to be commended. My previous post was meant to be encouraging not antagonistic. As I meant to say before it sounds to me like you have a viable product that could be of great utility.

Sincerely,
Evan

PS I find the SuperZero to be of value and it has paid for itself in time saved.