PDA

View Full Version : Diverting exaust air from router

mikea@mts.net
06-09-2003, 12:17 AM
Hello
Has anyone tried to divert the exaust air from the porter cable upwards-away from the cutter. It seems that half our dust problem is the dust blown around by the router itself. Perhasp a plate mounted to the bottom of the router?

Mike

rgbrown@itexas.net
06-09-2003, 07:12 AM
Mike,

If I remember correctly, a new "Bearing Retainer", held by three Phillips screws on the PC 7518, is ~$2.25. One could mount a "diversion plate" on the bearing retainer.

garbob
06-09-2003, 08:24 PM
That's what I did. A piece of 1/8" pvc cut in a rectangle with the front 2 corners rounded and the Z axis "T" bar is cut into it. The edges of the unit are about 5/8" high made from built up walls of pvc glued to the base. I have a rubber gasket around the PC router on the dust pick-up and when this assembly goes down through it the exhaust from the router is sent upwards away from the dust. It's been about a year since I built this, all's well so far.

jeff
06-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Gary,

Would you have a picture of your set-up?

mikea@mts.net
06-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Hey Gary
Thanks for the reply. How well did it work?
Mike

garbob
06-11-2003, 05:57 AM
Hi Mike,

I did have pictures, but... they are missing.

It works well at what it does, the only problem with it is when changing 4 inch long bits. The assembly has to go so high that the pvc plate is a little crushed against the bottom of the z assembly.

This has saved a lot of dust from blowing around in my shop. I really would like to build something larger that really sucks, but maybe later.

toys
06-11-2003, 10:09 AM
Gary you might consider making an opening dust hood. I've made one that works well for bit changing. I do however need to make a deflector like you have. You can see the one I made by typing in air turbine in the keyword search (as of June 11th, 2003 its the first entry) Select and scroll down. [I'm not sure how to put in links to it] My entire router passes through the dust hood. I'll have to make a new one with clearance for the deflector to blow back up. I wonder if it wor made just right it could actually assist the removal of dust. If you some how ducted up in to the dust exhaust pipe a small distance. Hmmm . . .

gerald_d
06-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Link to David's photos (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/29/852.html?#POST8357)

steve
06-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Mike I did exactly what you are thinking, I cut a disc of 2mm clear plexiglass and drilled a center hole for the collet and drilled three holes in line with the bottom bearing retainer (porter cable router)and countersunk them and reused the existing screws to hold it in place, this creates a nice space for the exhaust air to pass at 90 degrees to the workpiece and no longer sends the dust all over the place. It doesnt seem to have effected the router at all, I figured that if you were using the router hand held it would benefit by blowing away at the cutter but not when used in cnc.
steve

steve
06-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Forgot to add that I do intend to try vacuum forming some that have a curved upturned edge that would divert the air upwards, will let you know how it goes soon as I get time.
steve

davidallen
06-11-2003, 07:52 PM
you might want to look at end caps for 4 and 6" PVC pipe. this will give you a plate with a 2" lip to direct the air upward.

da

mikea@mts.net
06-12-2003, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. I will try it as soon as I can.

Mike

propellers@aol.com
08-01-2003, 07:27 PM
I have had very good success with the 4" rubbermaid bowl. It is the same diameter as the Porter Cable router base. I cut a hole in the bottom of the bowl to accept the collet and bit. On one side of the bowl I cut an opening so the air will be deflected horz.. The bowl is held on the router with a hose clamp. My side opening is large enough that I can remove the bit without removing the deflector.

mikea@mts.net
08-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Hello again

I used a margarine container cut about 1 inch high and bolted it on using the screws from the bottom bearing retainer. Works great and the price was right. Thanks for the help.

Mike

stevem
09-03-2003, 08:56 PM
I am currently working on a moulded plastic air diverter for the Makita router I'm using. If it works, I will post a pick and make some to fit the Makita and PC routers.

Steve

noah@noahsart.co.nz
09-04-2003, 03:46 AM
I cut out a disc of 0.5mm copper sheet, SLIGHTLY larger diameter than the router, with the three holes in the right place for the screws - and of course the big hole for the business end of the router. I was a bit concerned that the loss of thread might cause a weakness if I used anything thicker.
It diverts the air laterally, and the copper takes up the countersunk shape of the screws. It doesnt get hot after half an hour.
I guess you could bend the metal to divert the air upwards.

Simon

stevem
02-21-2004, 03:47 PM
This is the prototype air deflector I've attached to my Makita router. Will make these for sale to fit PC and Makita routers if there is interest. Attaches with hose clamp around router body. Projected price is $15.00. Made from ABS.

pierrewessels (Unregistered Guest)
03-05-2004, 04:08 PM
After reading these posts I went in search of "something round with a bowl shape" that was the right size to modify. I ended taking the clear plastic front off of a round wall thermometer. It is about 1" bigger in diameter than the PC body and the lip curls up about 5/8".
I drilled the appropriate holes and put it on. It made a tremendous difference in the air quality and dustiness of my shop. All of a sudden my dust collector works a lot better! Anyone considering doing this should try it. I am very happy with the results for $ spent.
Pierre
I will post a picture in the next couple of days

bob buttons (Unregistered Guest)
03-06-2004, 09:25 AM
just curious how many hrs a day do you guys run your shopbot? doesnt this setup restrict the exhaust and cause the spindles to heat up?? i run mine 4-5hrs at a time. thanks

stevem
03-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Bob, my router can run for several hours per day with no increase in temperature. The deflector does not restrict air movement. It only redirects the air.
Production versions for the PC and Makita routers should be available at the 2004 Jamboree.

ron brown
03-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Bob,

The first air deflector on a Shopbot I actually got to use was on a Porter-Cable 7518 VS router. We ran it for several hours correcting a severly out of flat table and pulling an ~1.75 diameter bit at 10,000. I too was worried about cooking a router. I couldn't tell the router got any hotter than my "identical" router did without the deflector. But, that was just by the "touch test".

I didn't have my IR thermometer with me. Nor, would I have the quanitative information to determine if there actually was a difference. I don't plan on making "study" of the possible problem either. I'd guess those running routers inside enclosed router table boxes, rebreathing the heated air, have a lot rougher life than one mounted in the open, like a ShopBot, and getting ambient air but with a deflector.

BTW, I'm building a defelctor for my PC router that will hold the dust collector....

Ron

weslambe
03-15-2004, 12:16 AM
I've been running this dustskirt for the whole time I've owned my bot, which is about 1 year. It could be a little bit more stout, but it works well. The exhaust from the PC is sucked up by the 4" 1.5 hp dust collector attached directly over the outside of the y car.

I can breath without a mask even while surfacing my table with this setup. The dustskirt doesn't go up and down with the router since I only do flat work (cabinet doors). The router plunges down into the dustskirt.

I like it.

The angles are aluminum and the base is mdf. The angled part that is clear is lexan and the red skirt is an old "Dilbert" mousepad.

stevem
04-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Deflectors for PC routers now available.

stevem
04-01-2004, 09:05 PM
High efficiency dust chutes will be available soon. These chutes concentrate the suction at the tool tip and allow easy replacement of the skirt that is held in place with a hose clamp. Lightweight dust from MDF or foam typically does not need a skirt. If the chute is within .375" of the work surface, very little blow-by occurs.

stevem
04-01-2004, 09:05 PM

stickman
04-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Steve,

What is your price for a PC router deflector?

Jay

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
04-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Me likey.

ron_cleaver
04-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Steve,

What's the largest bit that will work with the dust chute? I often use 1" or 2" diameter bits for table leveling and they make a LOT of dust.

stevem
04-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Ron,

The through hole at the top of the chute is 1.5" but can be cut to any size up to 2.25".

The chute is till at the prototype stage. I am waiting for feedback and will probably make changes before it goes into prodution.

Steve

stevem
04-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Price for PC deflector is $15.95. They should be available from ShopBot within two weeks and will be available for purchase at the Jamboree.

stickman
04-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Steve,

Is it a friction fit? How do you produce that part? I see from your website that you make holsters, that's cool.

stevem
04-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Jay,

The deflector is held in place with a hose clamp that squeezes 4 tabs against the router body. They are moulded by pressing Kydex® sheet between male and female mould halves.

Steve

stickman
04-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Steve,

I'd like to order one of your Diverters for the Porter Cable.

Tell me what I need to do.

Jay

stevem
04-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Jay,

Call ShopBot. They should have deflectors in stock again by Monday.

kerrazy
05-18-2004, 03:01 PM
I ordered one of Steve's Air Deflectors for our PC Router.
It is excellent. Now I do not have a cloud of dust when I am cutting HDU anymore. It fits nicely on the PC router as well.

If you machine MDF or HDU this is something you definatley will want to get!

nice work Steve.

stickman
06-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Steve,

I got my Diverter the other day. My router is being fixed. But I did try it on the router body. Do I need to pull the bearing holder plate off, then put it on. Or just slip it over the plate?

I think its going to work great...

Jay

Robert Kelly (Unregistered Guest)
06-07-2004, 05:18 PM
I cut my dust deflector from 1/4 inch ply making a disc about 4 inch diameter with a hole 1 and 1/4 inch or so to let the nuts of the router through. This disc was attached to 4 inch flexy (expanding)duct pipe. The other end of the flexy pipe is attached to the top of the extraction unit. Two six inch 1/4 inch diameter dowel are pierced through the flexy pipe close to the wooden disc and elastic bands are hooked onto these dowels and looped over the top of the router holding the disc tight to the bottom of the router. Any dust escaping the extraction unit and entering the flexy pipe cant escape and falls back down into the extraction system. Flexy pipe expands and contracts as router goes up and down. To change bits just unhook elastic bands and proceed as normal. Works 100% except over edges of board.

stevem
06-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Jay, the deflector slips over the plate. It should have a slight friction fit to hold it in place while you tighten the hose clamp.

My router has the same heating problem as your's. Let us know what the fix is (besides buying another Makita).

marshawk
11-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Gene installed the blast deflectors yesterday and it improved our dust collection by at least 90%. You can even see the sawdust going into the vacuum fixture!

Pics to come...

Chip

marshawk
11-16-2005, 11:19 AM
As promised, here are the pictures of the dust collection. The dust underneath the walnut turning is all that is left from that piece! There are two blocks on the double machine. One has more dust because the vacuum sucked the gate closed. The other picture shows all of the sign foam dust left after a 10 X 10 carving. (There ain't none!)

The router does seem to run a little hotter, but not much hotter.

The blast deflectors work extremely well and we consider our money sell spent.

gerald_d
11-16-2005, 12:26 PM
What do the spindle guys do about deflecting exhaust air?

marshawk
11-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey...us simple router guys need SOME advantage...

mikejohn
11-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Chip, he's been like this ever since going over to the Dark Side! What I wonder is, are the clamps going and a HUGE vacuum set up coming next?

gerald_d
11-17-2005, 02:03 AM
That spindle hasn't cut wood yet. Actually bought a second Makita last week - they are just so easy to use. Don't need any nursing with shielded cables, RF filters, reactors, external fans, thermistor relays, big balancing springs, dustproofing the VFD, 3-phase connections, etc.

gene_marshall
11-17-2005, 07:54 AM
SERIOUSLY!!!!!

HATS OFF TO STEVE M>
I am blown away ( lol)

marshawk
11-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Come to the Dark Side!

mikejohn
11-17-2005, 09:59 AM
You want to know the power of the Dark Side?
After my early morning dig at Gerald, retribution was at hand.
Just started cutting a large order and the wire elves released lots of blue smoke from my router!!!
Closer inspection shows it may have ben plastic melting when a bearing siezed. Its only 12 weeks since this router had a major overhaul.
Spooky, I call it!
...............Mike

gerald_d
11-17-2005, 10:16 AM
My condolences.

marshawk
11-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Gerald doesn't sound toooo sincere there...

He's probably, right now, trying to figure out how to stretch his dark powers across the Atlantic...

Be afraid...be very afraid...

billp
11-17-2005, 11:35 AM
And let's not forget Roberta Flack's "Krilling Me Softly".....
NOW if everyone can channel some of this creativity to BUILDING some SPEAKERS, this is gonna be a LOT of fun....!

marshawk
11-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Oops... Bill is trying to "pirate" this thread...

dingwall
11-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Chip, that turning looks pretty clean. How much sanding is needed to finish it off?

gene_marshall
11-18-2005, 02:53 PM
that's one of my projects...
Chip won't have to do any sanding on those...
They're mine, so he won't sand a bit.

I, on the other hand, should have these clean in about 20 min to a half hour.

LOL
Gene

marshawk
11-18-2005, 07:47 PM
I know Gene has things to sand when he exclaims loudly "WELL, GOTTA SAND...".

The last time I tried to help on one of his projects, he yelled at me.

So I just sit here and do all of the books, banking, shipping, maintenance on the machines, keep the computers running, do my own quotes and woodworking projects and, generally, keep the business running.

So there!

Nyaaahhh!

mikejohn
11-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Hey!
Sibling rivalry to liven up the forum!
This will be worth following

...............Mike