PDA

View Full Version : Warning strobe

bcammack
12-02-2008, 09:00 AM
It'd be nice if there was an optional safety strobe (blinking light, whatever) that came on when the router/spindle was energized. I can likely do that myself, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to and could just check a box on the order form.

Towersonline
12-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Brett, I have a board already built to do just what you want. The board cost about 20.00 in kit form. I just need to find some time to modify the the ShopBot post processor so that the proper output turns on at startup.
billt
I'll be happy to share.

Bill Thorpe

aaasigncom
12-02-2008, 09:49 AM
I ADDED A STROBE TO MINE TO REMIND ME THE SYSTEM WAS ON. COST $ 3.50 -- BUT YOU SHOULD REALLY DEVELOP A CHECK LIST OR HABIT OF CHECKING THINGS PRIOR TO DOING ANYTHING. LIGHTS WILL NOT REPLACE GOOD SAFETY HABITS.

Gary Campbell
12-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Brett...
Paco has the radio shack part #'s for a single ttl relay circuit (<$10)on his site. You can use output #1 (on with spindle) or #4 (on during active parts file) without modifying the postP as Bill says, but it would make a nice feature with it done that way.

I have been trying to email you, can you email me at islaww@comcast.net (mailto:islaww@comcast.net) ?
Gary

bcammack
12-03-2008, 08:15 AM
On one hand, yes, there is the ability to tap off of output #1 to sense when the spindle/router might be energized, but on the other hand, I don't know if there's a way to sense that not only that it might be energized, but that it is, in fact, energized and rotating.

I'm thinking about this from the perspective of someone with a ShopBot in a production environment with unskilled operators. I'd prefer none of them stick their fingers into a spinning bit when they decide it's time to change it out.

We have a 5hp Colombo, so that sorta complicates things a little.

harryball
12-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I've pondered this same thing... an easy simple way to add an on/off light indicator on the spindle. I just never seem to get around to taking the time to engineer it, build it and install it. I suppose, eventually given time I'll do it. If shopbot offered something for $50 to $100 I could run the wire into the box, screw it in place and that was that... I'd own one.

/RB

Gary Campbell
12-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Robert...
I put an indicator light for each axis on my Gantry. These are not obvious enough to be a "danger warning" light, but another could be wired in its place. Heres a pic.

Gary

br928
12-03-2008, 06:41 PM
This is the beacon I used for my spindle.
I used a relay output to drive it.

I think I will add a ring of LED's closer to the business end of the spindle. I would like to find a circuit that would make them seem to rotate.

dewey_dog
12-07-2008, 07:21 PM
On the Yakaswa drive there is a dry contact that activates when the spindle is given the signal to start. I took a 24vac transfornmer and used the contact to switch a strobe I put on top of my spindle. I works well.

blackhawk
12-15-2008, 10:15 AM
I haven't added a light to my machine yet, but it would be easy to do with the way I have it setup for my PC router. I have a standard duplex outlet box mounted to the top of my Y car. The PC router is hard wired into the outlet box. I then have a high flex extension cord that runs through my cable track that simply plugs into the duplex outlet. The other plug opening is sitting there free. The duplex outlet is of course not energized until the router button is pushed. You can simply plug in a low wattage 120 volt light into the outlet and there you go. The light comes on with the router.