PDA

View Full Version : Going to open the indexer help

tim_white
09-06-2004, 05:01 PM
i haven't open up the indexer yet. i was hoping somone can give me some help with setting it up the right way and on running it, hopfully you guys have worked out most of the problems. i have no idea about it yet, there was little instructions in the book, can i run it off part wiz. or do i need a new program? any help would be great thanks tim

Brady Watson
09-06-2004, 06:52 PM
Tim,
Generally speaking, you have a few different options mechanically and software-wise.

It is usually easiest to mount the indexer parallel with the X axis, because you can simply unplug the Y from the box, and plug in the indexer stepper. It would seem logical to bolt the indexer AL T-track blocks to the spoilbaord, but you will A) run the risk of not clearing the chuck under the gantry and B) you will be limited in the diameter size of the finished part. Depending on what length bit you are using, this will also be a factor since you may top out the Z axis trying to clear the mandrel/work piece.

I added a piece of 2X3 steel to my PRT X-car to raise up the gantry to clear the indexer. You may want to do the same...the other option is to remove some of the spoilboard and mount the T-track to the frame somehow. You can also run it along the Y-axis, but your final part size will be limited to roughly 36" in length. Many people have modified their machines to fit the indexer. Raising the X-car seemed to be the easiest way to me. You can also raise the rails...but with a 5X16 machine, I didn't want to get involved with that.

Software...One option is to manually program the part file in notepad. PartWizard may work, but any program will take time to generate a nice clean file that works in the round. Another is ArtCAM Pro, which will allow you to do 3D turnings. Other options include DeskProto and VisualMill with the 4th axis option.

I never hooked my indexer up. My next move is to upgrade to an Alpha, so it made most sense for me to wait and get the Alpha motor to run the indexer. That made the most sense, because the PRT stepper on the indexer has some play in it the larger you go in diameter of your workpiece.

Hope that helps,
-Brady

ron brown
09-07-2004, 10:33 AM
"because you can simply unplug the Y from the box, and plug in the indexer stepper."

Do not do this with the ShopBot board powered up, it WILL blow drivers.

Ron

bill.young
09-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Tim,

Don't know where you live but the Marshall brothers are having an Indexer camp in New Jersey on the last Friday of October. I would certainly be a great way to get a jump-start...check the Camp thread for details.

Bill