PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection

Support (Admin)
03-31-1999, 05:17 PM
THREAD FROM ARCHIVE
================================================== ====
Re: Vent/Dust

I HAVE A 18' X 45' space with ShopBot at one end, facing a 8' swing out double door, office cubicle in middle and a 20' display space for rowing shells across the end. I cut flat plywood panels for boat kits. My dust collector works just fine, with a very small amount of larger "chips" along two edges of the table where the collector brush overhangs. I'll add a marging strip to make it even better. I use a Sears ShopVac (what else) rather then my dust collector (which I plan to sell).

Just a note about the dust collection. That is something that I am also working on. I finished making the "parts" (on my ShopBot of course) and it will cost less than $10. All that is left to do is come up with a quick clamp system (and I think that I have that one solved also). Would have finished it tonight, but had other commitments.

If anybody is interested in the part file and list of parts, email me. Hope to have some pictures soon.
Bruce Clark @centuryinter.net

arthur_ross
04-01-1999, 04:48 PM
Just saw a neat device in the new Sears Craftsmen catalog-a box that plugs into the wall socket,and automatically turns on a vacuum or other accessory when it detects a voltage draw on the main socket, such as a power sander or router being switched on.

"Better living through gadgets"
Arthur
Deltamation Inc./www.signsontap.com

bob
04-03-1999, 10:58 PM
Radio Shack has a similar device to remotely control routers, vaccuums etc. which is considerably less expensive than the Sears model and works well.

LarryKrupp@worldnet.att.net
04-20-2000, 11:37 PM
I have not been able to locate a Frost King door
sweep that then use for the dust head. Does anyone know a store that carries them?

odysseywood@home.com
04-21-2000, 12:57 PM
Larry, I was able to pickup a door sweep from Home Depot. I do not remember the brand but it worked just fine.

arcohen@home.com
04-28-2000, 04:50 PM
Does anyone know a source of strip brushes with bristles about 4 inches in length. Door sweeps do not have long enough bristles for my application. I have made my own in the past (a combination of paint brush bristles and duct tape, sewn together with a sewing machine), but it gets tedious after a while. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

birdsofplay
04-28-2000, 06:02 PM
Since I dont have a Home Depo nearby ...

Does anyone know of a mail-order place to get those door sweep strips ?

Thanks in advance

bob

pjldesigns@hotmail.com
04-29-2000, 04:26 AM
Try RV or boat supply stores. They sell a horsehair bristle bar that is used to stop gravel from coming up from the wheels onto anything that is towed behind the vehicle. The hair is about 1 to 2 feet long.

djhazeleger@mindspring.com
04-29-2000, 08:38 AM
I picked up a soft 24" push broom from the local Ace hardware store. It was made of a strip brush formed in an oval. I cut the ends off, and it gave me 2 brushes around 18". Also Atlanta Broom Company Inc. in Atlanta Georgia has everything you can think of in brushes.

birdsofplay
04-29-2000, 10:49 PM
Kewel !!!

Thanks for the tips guys :-)

I'l letch know how it went after I decide.

rickyb@shopbottools.com
05-01-2000, 01:18 PM
If anyone can't find the Frost King door sweep, give us a call here at shopbot. Ask for Sales and we'll (for a small fee) hook ya up with one.

garbob
04-26-2002, 10:01 AM
I've finally finished testing this baby. Carve a 2' by 8' sheet of 2" blue styrofoam with a 2" vbit or a 4 by 8 sheet of sign foam and end up with about a teaspoon full of escaped dust in your shop.

For Sale - 3/8" thick acrylic Dust Pick-up head designed specifically for the Porter Cable 3.25 h.p. router and the PRT96. It was designed based on the PRT96 of Sept. 2001. See my site for details.

Gary

Jeff Brown
05-05-2002, 12:38 AM
Gary-
Can you tell us more about this?

gerald_d
05-05-2002, 03:22 AM
Jeff, here is the link to Gary's site:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~garchibald/dust_pickup.htm

debekker
05-05-2002, 05:46 AM
If your looking for a longer Hair/sweep about 4"
Go to your ace or true value and have them look up the parts in Garage door Acc. They had some sweeps up to 5". When my order comes in Ill get you the part # I just order it today and I can't rember the Brand name but will get it.

garbob
05-06-2002, 08:41 AM
Hi Jeff, I was going to send you more info seperately but your info isn't available. It makes more sense for anyone interested to visit my site anyway. If you just connect to the above url address that Gerald provided there is now another page "More Info" that pretty much covers any and all of the missing details.

Thanks for the interest!

Gary

garbob
06-26-2002, 11:21 AM
From Gary - re: Dust Pickup for sale

Due to the overwhelming disinterest in this item I have taken it off my site as my site is for end users, not other cnc people.

Gary