PDA

View Full Version : Air Operated Dust Shroud

chuck_p
10-05-2002, 01:49 PM
Has anyone built a dust shroud that raises and lowers with air cylinders? Perhaps could use I/O from the Shopbot controller to program its operation right in the .sbp. I'm interested in making one.

I'm thinking of a device that would be mounted on the Z-axis so that the shroud moved with Z movements. The air cylinders would raise and lower the shroud to access tool changes. An air valve would control the cylinder. The solenoid would be fired from an output out of the control box. (or could be a manual valve to simplify)

Chuck

Mayo
10-07-2002, 04:21 PM
I would think raising it on every Z move would only allow dust to get blown around from the router motor. I created an adjustable height dust pick-up by attaching the shop vac hose to a drawer slide. I adjust it by means of a precision controlled guidance system (also known as my eyes and a C-Clamp). The drawer slide is held to the frame of the Y carriage with a piece of angle and another C-clamp. No extra electrical or pneumatic systems required.

chuck_p
10-08-2002, 11:13 PM
Hi Mayo,

Thanks for the note. Most of the industrial grade routers have designed the dust collection this way. Regarding lifting for each Z move, usually the brushes are about 3" long. You can set the interference of the brushes with the table such that the brushes don't leave contact with the part for Z clearance. I usually have about .1" or .2" Z up clearance so that shouldn't matter.

The biggest advantage is that the brushes automatically move out of the way for tool changing, Z zeroing and setting XY zeros. I've made something like what you've described (out of spit and baling wire) but I've gotten annoyed at messing with it all the time. That is my motivation. I got to believe others have had the same notion.