PDA

View Full Version : Vacumn from old Compressor

mnrite@yahoo.com
01-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Can I build a vacumn pump from an old compressor, for use with the puck type clamps? I have an old compressor with a good tank & pump, and I thought I might use it as a vacumn pump.

Thanks
Mike

Brady Watson
01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Yes, provided that the pump has a threaded intake port on the head.

If not, you can buy a venturi vac pump from Harbor Freight for $15 that will operate off of compressed air.

-Brady

gerald_d
01-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Some compressors will suck their own oil onto the piston if you use them for vacuum. Also, if there is no airflow (your puck has no leaks), some compressors will overheat. Be careful.

davidallen
01-18-2005, 07:14 PM
or, you can use a compressor from old refrigerators or freezers. they're cheap (usually free) and easily replaced every few months if needed.

mnrite@yahoo.com
01-19-2005, 07:14 AM
I guess my question should have been, I have an old compresser (controls are shot but the tank and pump are fine), should I sell it and use the money to buy a vacumn clamp of some kind or can I make a usefull one from what I have?

Thanks
Mike

billp
01-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Mike,
Another option would be to save the tank, buy a vacuum pump, and connect it inline with the tank. Then you can pull vacuum into the tank and when needed open a valve to get a "surge"of vacuum. This should help to eliminate any air in a jig, and after that if you have a vacuum switch inline you should just be replenishing the volume of vacuum in the tank. I just started to build such a rig, but I won't have it done until I get back from the Florida Camp next week. I'll try to take
pictures and document the parts needed ,etc. and I'll post what I learn here...

billp
01-19-2005, 09:22 AM
I started to take pictures of the vacuum rig I mentioned above, but my digital camera just died. SO I'll attach the only shot I was able to save so far.
This is the pump and tank I plan to use in my "vacuum module". Both are from Surplus center ( pump is 1/4 hp-$90, tank is 3 gallons- $55).
I now have to run all of the connectors, guages, etc. and I'll keep a record of what that entails as well.
My goal is to have a setup that is versatile enough to use for vacuum jigs, pucks, and vacuum bagging. I want this to be portable , and simple to use as well. If anyone has any suggestions, or practical adaptations of this project, please let Me/Us know about it, thanks...