PDA

View Full Version : Device to reduce electric power used on motors??

ed_lang
04-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on this device?
http://www.kvarenergysavings.com/index.htm
I have one that I can try out on my shop but before I install it, I wanted to hear from anyone that knows about them.

harold_weber
04-13-2008, 05:12 PM
You can read about what this device is trying to do by Googling "power factor correction" and "motor power factor". I cannot say how effective this particular device is.

What you want to do is to bring your voltage and current into phase, and you can buy power factor meters to tell how out of phase they are.

Some motor nameplates list the motor's power factor. For example, I have a motor whose power factor is 0.86. If I wanted to correct it to 1.0 with a capacitor, I could get the same shaft power out and get charged for 14% less electricity. Normally, an industrial plant will choose to adjust its power factor by using a central bank of capacitors rather than doing it at each individual motor.

dana_swift
04-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Ed- I use a good power factor meter from "Brand" electronics. I have owned the thing for years and really like it. Its one of those things that just keeps on going. Here is their website:

http://www.brandelectronics.com

Their meter is good for finding out how much your power factor is out, as well as estimating the electric bill for running an 110v device up to 20A. I have used it on just about everything around at one time or another. How much does it cost a month for my refrigerator? Do compact florescent bulbs really save money? Etc..

I agree with Harold, all that can be done is align the current phase angle with the voltage phase angle. It matters more if the electric meter from your utility company has a power factor "feature". If so, they charge extra for a power factor other than 1.0.

Good luck.

D

servant74
09-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Years ago my Dad was in charge of plant maintenance at Bell Helicopter in FtWorth TX. They did plant wide power factor correction, to keep from being billed for 'excess power'. Also, if they didn't put in appropriate capacitors to do the correction, the power company would put them in on their side of the meter, so they could charge for more. Power factor as close to 1.0 is what you are after.

Unless most of your power is consumed by motors, very little else effects the power factor. And unless you are a large consumer, the power company probably doesn't care.

I agree, you should check with the power company or your neighborhood electrician to see if your meter effectively monitors the power factor.