PDA

View Full Version : Max file size for probe programs?

ctoddh
10-19-2001, 11:20 PM
I was given a large sign (58"x48") by a friend yesterday morning and he asked me if I could make a copy of it for him. It is a sandblasted sign with lots of detail so I set the probe up with a small step size (1/8"x1/8") to capture the detail. I started the probe early this afternoon and left the shop. I went back this evening and noticed that in 8 hours the probe had only covered 6". I did some calculations and figured the probe will be done Monday morning with the file. This will be a large amount of points for the file. Will the program be able to create a file like this? Has anyone successfully worked with probing objects this large?

Mayo
10-22-2001, 01:11 AM
I don't have the probe but if I did the math right, it means your shopbot will be probing 178,176 points.

58"x48" = 2784 square inches.
since you are probing at 1/8 x 1/8, this means there are 64 probe points per square inch.
8 x 8 = 64

So 64 points per square inch times 2784 = 178,176.

To answer your question, I have no idea if the program will handle a file that large, but I do have thoughts about the process:

There are several quicker ways to make a copy of an existing sign, but these assume you have the necessary sign making skills.

If this had been my job, I would have recreated the lettering in any program that has access to similar typefaces as used on the sign. Two programs that come to mind are Corel Draw and SignLab. Then I would have either made paper patterns and pounced the design onto the sandblast mask, or I would have cut the mask directly on a plotter/cutter.

Alternatively, since you have the sign you need to copy, you could make a paper pattern directly from it, and hand cut the masking and be done with the sign before the probe is even finished.

Then prime and paint the board on the areas which will remain raised and not blasted. When dry, apply sandblast masking. Put your pattern on the masking and cut it or remove the previously cut masking from any areas which are to be blasted.

Blast it or have it blasted by someone with the right equipment. Depending on the wood, and how deep you need to go, and how much area needs to be blasted away, this will take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, but with the right equipment I can't imagine it taking more than a half hour. After blasting, blow off the remaining dust with air compressor, and stain or paint the background before removing your sandblast mask. When almost dry remove the masking and your sign is done.

If there were any logos involved, since you had the original sign, it would have been an easy step to make a paper pattern of it. Then just transfer the pattern to your new board which has been covered in sandblast mask, and hand cut the logo using an exacto. Then sandblast or have it sandblasted by someone who has the equipment.

Most people realize and accept the fact that no two pieces of wood will look exactly the same.
Wood grain and stain absorption will cause variations.

If you try and recreate the sandblasted woodgrain effect using router bits, I think you will be very disappointed in how much different it will look from the original. Additionally, cutting the new wood with a bit and simulating grain against the real grain may cause problems with parts of it being very easy to chip or break off.

If you use a V-bit you will not be able to go very deep without cutting into the next raised area. And if you use a 1/16" bit, the routing will take forever (so will the V-bit).

Not to downplay the value of the probe and the shopbot, but I think unless you needed to make several of the same sign, this is a waste of machine time to do it like you are planning. Even then, assuming you want the woodgrain to show like it does on most sandblasted signs, the faster way is still to sandblast it - not rout it.

garlicking@home.com
10-26-2001, 04:00 PM
Todd
I have successfully probed 56inch wide x 28inch high x 2inch deep at .03 resolution if that helps. Approx. 50meg file that takes about a week to complete. keith

Robin
10-26-2001, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know of a program which can import the xyz "point cloud" data into a 3d cad environment? Or convert the file into a 3d cad format?

Wdyasq@yahoo.com
10-26-2001, 09:03 PM
Robin,

I believe RHINO will import a 'point cloud'. I know I have converted a SbopBot plot file into a point cloud and looked at in in RHINO. I have not done any other work on a point cloud drawing.

ctoddh
10-26-2001, 10:00 PM
Keith,
What program did you use to edit the file? I have been having some problems with editing my file. It ended up being just short of 7 megs.

garlickink@home.com
10-28-2001, 02:53 PM
Todd,
I never edited the file. I just used the part file
proportions to cut the size I wanted. Low-tech, but it worked for me. My DOS editor only goes to 60k lines, besides thats too much editing for my taste anyway. Until some magical,mystical,CHEAP progam comes out, thats how I'll continue to do it. Tight on the resolution, long on the hours probing. Besides , I think Mayo has the right idea in his comments above, if you want to make a one-off. On another note; If you are going to do large file probes, you might want to take one of the safties out of the probe program. The one that ends it when you lose contact with the probe. Its very frustrating to lose 5 days of probing due to a contact glitch. Here's a question for the rest of you; Does the SBP to DXF convertor exist? or another rumor?
keith

bill.young
10-29-2001, 07:54 AM
Todd,

I use Notepad Plus as my editor in Windows. It's a free Notepad replacement program that lets you edit much bigger files (I've never reached the upper size limit), has a Find and Replace function, and a couple of other bells and whistles. You can find it on hotfiles.com or CNET if you search for Notepad replacements.

Bill

bill.young
10-29-2001, 08:02 AM
Keith,

Don't know if this will help or not, but there's a dxf-output version of the probe routine in the newest software download. It's named s_dxf3d.sbp and works the same as the regular probe routine. The only difference is that it outputs a dxf file full of points instead of a sbp file.

Bill

Bill

crockett@hemnesweb.com
10-29-2001, 05:14 PM
Hi,
I got my Shopbot awhile ago, but I have not figured out how to use the probe. I have hooked it up and it is connected to the pc. I have tried to open the probefile, but I guess I'm too slow to get it going. Anyone willing to give me a step by step instruction.
Thanks,
Thor

gerald_d
10-30-2001, 05:18 AM
Hi Bill,

You have some Rhino experience (I think) - Would Rhino allow one to read that "dxf file full of points" and then generate a set of equal height contours (waterlines)? Any other ideas of how to go from points to contour lines?

Thanks
Gerald

Wdyasq@yahoo.com
10-30-2001, 09:37 PM
Gerald,

I have Rhino and have taken a probe file from a ShopBot and converted it to a model. From there, I 'sliced it' and came up with what I think you are speaking of.

Rhino will import a point cloud. I have not tried to develop a surface from a point cloud.

Ron

ethelent@grove.net
11-03-2001, 11:32 AM
Ron,
How did you convert the probe file to a model with Rhino? Was it a .dxf probe file? Can the model be used in something like MillWizard? Rhino is the only program I've found that even shows the .dxf file in its entirety.

Wdyasq@yahoo.com
11-04-2001, 12:37 AM
Bob,

I used Bruce Clark's REVENG program to convert the .sbp 'probe' file to DXF. From there, I guess you could use any program you like.

HTH,
Ron

BobE
11-05-2001, 09:25 AM
Ron,
Thanks for the info. I've contacted Bruce with hopes of obtaining a copy.
Bob

febert@qwest.net
11-05-2001, 10:47 PM
I bought my shopbot about a year and a half ago or so along with a copy of Reveng. I haven't had a chance to use Reveng since it was demo'ed when I bought it. I'm trying to convert a moderate size file (about 5 meg)to DXF. Reveng gets through with less than a tenth and says it's done. Is there a bug cure out there? and who do I talk to. [This is a very early copy of the software, perhaps the first (according to Larry Brunner)]. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ted Hall, ShopBot
11-06-2001, 02:12 PM
Hi Thor:

On using the probe, use the latest software and the S_PRB3D2.SBP file as a starting point. When your probe is plugged in, the #1 input indicator should be ON-blue (it's a normally closed switch) and when you hit the probe, it should go Off.

There are also instructions in the file that provide more details ... let us know if this doesn't get you started.

bwclark@centurytel.net
11-06-2001, 06:58 PM
Fred,

The biggest problem with the RevEng program is that it loads ALL of the ShopBot file into memory before it starts converting. If Reveng runs out of memory, it will only convert what it has loaded in.

If you cannot resample the part using the new shopbot probing routines, I will be more than happy to take a look at fixing this problem, but Shopbot has said that they want to get away from Reveng and rely solely on using using the new probing software. So, needless to say, this program is at the end of its "usefull" life cycle...

Bruce Clark
bwclark@centurytel.net (mailto:bwclark@centurytel.net)

garlicking@home.com
11-29-2001, 11:40 PM
If I'm lucky enough to live till I'm 75, thats 3900 weeks, I'll be happy. Using up one of these precious weeks reprobing a file (that I already have in SBP)to make a DXF file with the new probe program, then using another half week trying to decipher the information with no satisfaction? I'm just a idiot? No clue? I probed a 2 1\2 dim. pattern, x=43in y=16.5in z=-2in resolution---x=.06 y=.06 approx. 63meg file Rhino opens this file Mastercam 8 opens this file acad2002 opens this file. I have viewed this file in each program. I can't seem to find the answer. How do I make it a 3d face, polygon mesh, etc. file that is cuttable? I tried the solution posted on the sb site of using vector, select all, line connect, but with my ver. 9 it only opens 1.6 inches Y axis of 16. No matter what anybody says about usefull life cycle, I would appreciate a copy of whatever is available to make my last 1500 weeks more productive. Reveng is not dead"

PO, I mean KO