PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Warm-up procedure

mikeacg
10-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Good Morning! My first post and I hope someone can help me. I have my new 48" Buddy all set up and read the manual on warming up the spindle bearings but it doesn't make sense. It says to set the frequency value to 150 (9000 rpm) - my display doesn't go to 150. It only goes up to 18 (18,000 being the maximum rpm of the HSD so I am guessing that it shows actual rpms without needing any conversion). Anyway if I set it to 9 (9,000 rpms?), the manual says to hit the start button and run for 2 minutes. Then it says to set the frequency to 225 (13500 rpm), hit the start button... The spindle is still running at this point. Do I stop it after 2 minutes at 9000 to change the speed (and how do I stop it?) or just up the speed and forget about the Start Button? I don't want to hurt the spindle (or my pocketbook)!

mwpfeifer
10-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Michael,
I have the Stardard Buddy 48 with the HSD Spindle and my readout is in RPMs. ShopBot indicated that the VFD is programed to readout that way before they ship it. As for the warm up process I start mine at 9000 and after two minutes or so just increase the RPMs using the up/down arrows on the VFD power supply. I see no reason to stop the spindle and restart at a higher RPM. I'll be interested in hearing other folks opinion on this topic.

Towersonline
10-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Michael, The later shipments of the spindle had the VFD reprogrammed to read in RPM. Disregard reference to frequency.

There is no need to stop the spindle to make speed changes. Well-- at least I dont't. I makes no sense to me to stop between speed adjustments.

Hopefully someday the documentation will catch-up.

Bill Thorpe

mikeacg
10-19-2008, 01:33 PM
I am impressed by this forum and the folks at ShopBot. I sent them an email and also posted here just in case they didn't have a chance to get back to me. In just a couple of hours I had an answer from Support and a few here as well!
Thanks to everyone who helped me make sawdust without waiting until Monday!!!

Mike