PDA

View Full Version : Turn key Vac pump anywhere?

harryball
04-26-2007, 05:10 PM
I need to get a gast vac pump to pull 20"+ mercury, make pucks etc... I've looked at Bill's baycraft site and surfed the forum and I can find all the technical details and I know I could order parts and build one up. However... I would love to find a turn key pump so I could just worry about making my pucks right now since I'd like to have this project cutting quickly.

So, any turn key systems out there that are suitable and reasonably priced?

Thanks,
Robert

Brady Watson
04-26-2007, 05:35 PM
http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/EVS/vacuum-pumps.htm

jeff_guinn
04-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Robert,
You can use a Gast rotary vane vac pump >Check valve > 5+ gallon portable air storage tank > Puck if you don't mind running the pump continuously when cutting. It won't hurt the pump.
Everything can be connected using the appropriate hose fittings & .25",.375",etc. cheap poly tubing from a home center. You can always install an adjustable control valve later on. Vacuum is not as mystical as most people think. Instead of storing air in the tank to cover surges, you are storing the absence of air (vacuum) for surges. If you have all the parts it shouldn't take more than a couple hours to complete. I've been using vacuum for 20+ years & don't know what I would do without it. If you want additional help,send me an email at (rjguinn@optonline (mailto:rjguinn@optonline)(dot)net) with your phone# & I'll give you a call.

scott_smith
04-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Robert,
It really is as easy as Jeff describes. I was hesitant until I did it also. And thin said “Wow that was easy!”. Most of the parts on mine are from a small air compressor I had laying around. Only had to buy the controller switch and gauge (from joewoodworker). I’ve seen some great deals on vac pumps on our local craigslist.org. They are listed for the AC industry. There was an air operated one listed recently for $10.

Scott

scott_smith
04-27-2007, 04:52 PM
And as for puck construction: Easy. I had some 1/4” od rubber hose that I used to connect the pucks to the vac so I drilled 1/4” holes in the side of my pucks and just shove it in. Doesn’t seem to leak vac. I also made a manifold to connect multiple pucks the same way.
Scott

scott_smith
04-27-2007, 05:00 PM
My vac

My pucks

Scott

harryball
04-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the info, I ordered the pump from Bill Palumbo's website and parts from Joe. I also ordered gasket from allstaradhesives.com

Robert

scott_smith
04-27-2007, 06:17 PM
I love spending other peoples mony!

woodworkseb
05-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Here is a complete pump that will move 17cfm of air at 20hg pressure. It runs off of shop air and only consumes 7cfm at 90psi. If you require a stand alone pump we produce a model that moves 5.5cfm of air at 20hg. We also sell vacum systems complete with pucks, manifolds,tubing and pump with easy instructions all for $1925. Here is the website:
http://www.oriontechproducts.com/index.html