PDA

View Full Version : 3D reliefs

terryb
04-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi fellow sign makers ...

I have a question ...just started doing 3D reliefs using artcam pro ...i'm getting left over debris...from using ball nose end mills (not a smooth as I like)...why does this happen ? ...and how can i fix it ? attached are some samples ...Iknow its got a lot do with stepover these are at 5% - 8% which creates a very long cut time ....am I missing a last step with an offset or something ?

Thanks Terry

billp
04-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Terry,
You have a few options. Here are two of them;
1. instead of doing a "raster"cut do an "offset" tool path which will follow the perimeter of your part and not give you the "scalloping" effect you show in your photo.
2. If you choose to use the raster tool path you might be able to follow it up with an "outside(OR "inside" depending on the part...) profile" tool path of the entities you have just cut, and that should eliminate the scallops...

terryb
04-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi Bill,

no sure I follow ..do you mean under the 3d toolpaths , 3d machine , raster vs offset , should it be set to climb mill or conventional so on and so on ...

Thanks Bill ,

Terry

billp
04-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Terry,
After you create your 3D image (or relief) you'll go to "3D tool paths/machine relief". Then you'll choose whether to machine the entire relief, or a selected area you can identify by drawing vectors as a border for machining. Under "strategy"you will then see a drop down box that gives you the option of "raster, or offset" cutting. The simplest way to see the difference with these is to choose each of them individually and then simulate the tool path for each method.
Some advantages of offset cutting are that your tool never leaves the material, and since it is not going back/forth to the border you won't see any of the scalloping marks your pix are showing. (You should be able to see those scallop marks in your preview by the way...). The simulation tool is VERY important, so use it before you make a cut, so you won't get any "surprises".
As far as climb, or conventional cuts this can vary depending on the grain of your material, etc.
and you'll see/hear a variety of opinions on the Forum as to what works best for different people...

terryb
04-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Super Bill it's exactly what I did last Night ...looks much better...I do use the simulation all the time ...it does work wonders ...just never tried the offset tool path ...thanks much ...

Terry