PDA

View Full Version : If you cut ColorCore, please let me know. I need some help

ed_lang
10-09-2007, 07:56 AM
I would like to know what cutters you use and how small can you cut text?

Are there any fonts you like best or try to avoid?

Thank you

Buckeye Don
10-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Ed
I found to hollow out letters just a straight cutting bit with flat bottom. Someone said onsrud has a bit with the flat bottom and the sides are slightly rounded to give a nice clean cut on the bottom. It's always easier to use a block style letter for the smaller letters. The smallest letters I have used with a clean look is 3/4 to 1 inch. V bits work for bigger letters, you may have to z zero out the bit to the bottom of the first color.Hope this helps Don

ed_lang
10-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks Don!

Here is what I did. I talked to the guys at Centurion Tools and told them what was going on. I took a sample to them and showed them. In short order they had a cutter made for me that cuts my .4" letters and will cut serifs too. It is a 11deg engraving cutter with a .038" flat on the bottom if I recall the spec right. I was able to cut text that a large CNC shop said could not be done. Sure made the sign shop I cut for happy. I liked the clean cuts I got from this cutter. I blew the sign off with the air hose and did nothing else. I use V-carve PRO and did set the start cut depth to .040 since that is the thickness of the green skin on this sheet of King ColorCore.

Bring on the ColorCore jobs! I can cut it!

P.S. - If the Centurion Tools guys read this, THANK YOU for taking your time to help me out and making this cutter that did the trick!

jd_graphics
10-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey Ed, that's great! The research you and the Centurion guys have done should help in my business...if I ever finish assembling the darn machine! Glad to hear you got a fix worked out.

ed_lang
10-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Justin,
Get off of the computer and back to putting that machine together!

I want to see more pictures and it cutting something!

jhicks
10-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Good news ED, you have solved a problem I had given up on. Love to see photos and will need to order one of those bits.
Good work!

centurion
12-04-2007, 10:56 AM
the bits Ed is speaking of are now on the web site, and in the special sets just added to the site yesterday. www.centuriontools.com (http://www.centuriontools.com)