PDA

View Full Version : Brass letters

rick_d
07-18-2006, 01:10 PM
I have been doing various projects on my new Alpha for about a year now, so I felt ready to start looking for my first sign customer. Unfortunately, all my practise on MDF, HDU, and plywood didn't prepare me for the 24 inch brass letters that my first customer wants.
So my first question out here in the Forum is, "Has any one cut 14ga brass?" I tried on a scrap, and it seems like it will work in spite of my breaking a bit for the first time ever! (need to slow the feed a little!)
Also, after I dial in cutting parameters, any suggestion on protecting the brass for exterior install? I was thinking about automotive clearcoat.

frank_hav
07-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Rick,
I cut 1/16" stainless patterns with mine. I use a carbide endmill running at 4000 rpm and 0.1" per second. I also use a cold air gun(MSC). You could use compressed air. The metal gets hot and wet on a wood spoil board doesn't work well. With the Brass you may make out better with an endmill desigend for aluminum(High Spiral). Depending on how you are holding it down will dictate the need for possibly a down spiral endmill. I have cut aluminum with a router bit with mixed results. Also in metals you will get a better finish with a skim cut in a climbing cut manner. Metals are much less forgiving when it comes to chip load. You should be around 0.003" - 0.005" per tooth.

You can do it, have faith.
Frank

patricktoomey
07-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Rick, I can't speak to cutting metal on the bot but I do have a suggestion for the clear coat. Sculpt Nouveau sells a fantastic lacquer that's specially formulated for exterior use on all metals. It's rated for 10 years. It's called Permalac, here's a link...
http://www.sculptnouveau.com/sealers.html
It's listed just under the waxes, about 1/4 of the way down the page.

rick_d
07-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Thank You Frank and Patrick for your help, your suggestions are appreciated.