PDA

View Full Version : I struggled with this one

dakers
07-25-2009, 10:42 AM
here is one i did that was before the cnc router in the early 90's built from 4'' thick perfect plank redwood. had problems with the weight of sign. the cut out was done with sawsall and could not keep side walls straight. Had to band it with steel on sides to keep the cut out from breaking when handled. I am showing this to show you that you can do things so much easier now just like this with shopbot. I almost feel like i am cheating now. back then we were working out of a two story house with double car garage. i did this in the basement. Once i built a sign in the basement and could not get it out the door.

rb99
07-25-2009, 02:38 PM
"Once i built a sign in the basement and could not get it out the door."

What did you do?

RIB

dakers
07-25-2009, 04:36 PM
I had to quit drinking wine. Got some thyroid medication for low thyroid and tore the sign apart and took it out in 3 sections and re built it on site. Once i built a large 8x12 ft sign on site and put all the elements on upside down. Hired a crane to pick it up to place it over the steel pipe and realized the mistake. Had to re do it. Then when done i was painting it and a gallon of paint fell on my head and dripped down my face. I have had paint can near my coffee once and actually picked up the paint can and put started to drink it but spit it out immediately.
been knocked unconcious off my crane truck by the ball that weights the hook. Once started driving my crane away from the job and heard a noise. Stopped and looked at the lines i just knocked down because i forgot to put the boom down. Have so many stories that indicate i have been in the paint fumes too long. Sorry, just confessin. Back in 1972 i Did not know anything. Spent an hour drilling holes in a piece of steel because i did nto realize the drill had a forward and reverse and i had it in reverse. Went to dig post holes for a whole day for a few holes. Lots of rocks, never knew there was such a thing as a spud bar. I learn so much the hard way trial and error. There is more stories but i am afraid to go on.

rb99
07-25-2009, 04:43 PM
On one of the hottest days of the year I was up in the bucket touching up with One Shot Lettering enamel black. The paint was really really warm, and when I placed the can above on the mast and then moved the crane it dumped all over me. I was an hour and 1/2 away from the shop and my home and the client would not give me any of her varsol because of the $3.00 it cost...

It was like being tarred. When I think about this it reminds me I hate the sign biz...

RIB

RIB

dakers
07-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Ok Richard i know what that is like too. My Dad said "why did you get into the sign business, it is too hard?" It was because i had to if that makes sense. I was very young and no one would hire me because they did not think i knew anything at 21 years old.
Here is the worst story that really indicates something but don't tell me what:
It was winter, around midnight, snow on the ground, cold, i had to have the sign up before morning for the deadline. it was an 8x10' sign that went about 20ft up on a concrete block wall. had angle brackets on the side, was using lags and shields, never heard of a hammer drill, i was on the flat roof with rope around my waist, the other end attached to sign, i backed up and the sign went up the wall, my dad and my wifes dad were on ladders to drill and attache sign. Had one angle bracket attached and realized the other lags were larger and only had one bit. So they went back to shop and i stayed on roof. the police saw me from the street behind the building and called for me to come talk to them. as i was trying to walk towards the edge of roof i started to slide on the snow and the sign started to come down and i thought i was going to go over the edge but did not. When it was over the police were laughing.
I have another similar story but now i am really embarrassed. Those people who did not hire me were probably right, I did not know anything.

rb99
07-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Wow.

You have been through it all!

I bet you could tell me a few stories about bad employees as well?

I found that was the real challenge with the sign biz.

Cheers,

RIB

dakers
07-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Yes both bad and good stories. Mostly good except for one embezzlement and pay for a car i co signed for. Many good stories and good people. Some delusional people who thought they had experience to do anything but sadly did not. I think i was like that when i was 21 trying to get a job in a sign shop building porcelain firestone tire signs and goodyear tire signs. Fortunately i was drafted into the army before i was let go in 1968.