PDA

View Full Version : OFFSET FOR CUTTING PLASTIC LETTERS

superior@chickasaw.com
12-17-2000, 05:43 PM
I AM A NEW SHOPBOT OWNER, AND NEED SOME HELP SETTING UP THE SYSTEM TO CUT PLASTIC LETTERS. WHEN WE ATTEMPT TO CUT THEM, THE ROUTER CUTS THE LETTERS ON THE CENTER LINE, AND RUINS THEM. I NEED SOME ADVISE ON SETTING THE OFFSET TO CUT THE LETTERS TO TRUE SIZE.
THANKS IN ADVANACE FOR THE HELP!

Doug Strickland

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
12-17-2000, 09:58 PM
Doug, what program do you use to create the
letters you are cutting in?
Dan Hammerstron

jkforney
12-18-2000, 10:32 AM
Doug
If you either design or bring your letters into Vector CadCam, which came with your machine, you simply Shift Select your letter. Then Draw-Other Curves-Offset. Then offset by the radius of your cutter (1/2 of the cutter size= 1/2" cutter=1/4" radius). See what direction the arrows of your selected letter are going and click left or right and the radius. You then should have a selected offset. If you have no z depth, you then Edit-cut and Edit paste put in your z depth and click ok.

Then go to Special-insert nc and select shopbot in the dialog window. In the cam window you then Select Macro Start-Click bottom right icon-Marcro End. Then export with an sbp extention.

You can check the Vector section for more details or post other questions there.

If you are using another program, I'll leave it to someone else to help since I only use Vector.

John Forney

bwclark@centurytel.net
12-18-2000, 11:12 AM
Doug,

What you need to do is "offset" the contours
1/2 the diameter of the cutter you are using.

Now, this may be a leap, but I am going to assume
you are using Vector since you have a new machine.
Here are the steps.

Select the geometry you want to offset. Now,
under "Draw" -> "Other Curves" select "Offset..."

Now, you will be presented with a dialog box.
The direction the arrows are pointing on your
geometry will determine which side (left or right)
you want to offset. Now, in the Distance box, enter
1/2 the diameter of the cutter you plan to use
(or cheat and do what I do--enter the full
diameter and let the computer divide by 2--ie for
a 1/2" cutter, I enter this "1/2/2" will result
in ".25").

Now, you may or may not want to enable the
"intersect all", "no selfintersection" and "one
path"--I suggest you read the "HELP" for these
options as it depends on what you trying to offset.

You should now have an offset 1/2 the diameter of
your cutter. Select this path and generate your
ShopBot code and you are off cutting correct size
letters.

Now, if you do not have/use vector, then the
procedure will be different but the concept will
not. Most ALL cad programs will have some form of
offset routine in them.

Hope it helps,

Bruce Clark
bwclark@centurytel.net (mailto:bwclark@centurytel.net)

superior@compworldnet.com
02-08-2001, 07:52 AM
First of all, A mighty THANK YOU for all the replies to my dilema. Since my last posting, I have advanced by (small) leaps and bounds. At least I can now cut plex, metal, wood, etc. somewhat successfully. Still having a problem with exporting, fillilng, and some other minor stuff. Guess it takes a while. One good thing to report, I found (via woodworking magazine) a router bit to cut plastics, acrylics, lexan, etc. and it is a dandy. The bit is a Bosch 1/4", part no. 85611M. It is solid carbide and really does a great job. Cost me $45.00 for 2, including shipping. Money Well Spent!
At next posting, hope to have a better handle on exporting files from our software-still a problem. Going to try G CODE next. We use Scanvec software, both Pro 6.0 and Inspire. Great software, not good for talking to shopbot. May need to buy Sign Lab or such; hope not.
Once again, many thanks to all who helped out.
Looking forward to more feedback. Thanks again....
Doug Strickland