PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for an entry level sand blaster?

chiloquinruss
03-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Any suggestions for an entry level sand blaster for making signfoam signs? Not a production shop but have need tosome signs. Thanks. Russ

signtist
03-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Sandblasting foam is a bigger job than blasting wood. You need a BIG COMPRESSOR and a good pressure pot. The foam needs to be blasted VERY EVEN with constant smooth pressure. A small cheap blasting system won't work. You need to stand back more than wood, and blast so it comes out even. I got rid of my 5 HP compressor setup because it was way too much trouble. I let someone else do the dirty part now. I do a lot of sandblasted signs too.
You have to do it right or not at all. Good luck on whatever you decide.
If I were to get setup again it would be all in a seperate room, complete with breathing air, VERY LARGE AIR COMPRESSOR and the best pot I could find. This is NOT the fun part of the sign.

tuck
03-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Sub it out, Russ. If you're not high production w/ sandblasting, the time, expense and trouble just ain't worth it.

chodges
03-29-2008, 10:01 PM
We blast Signfoam signs all the time. The machinery we found that works best is a 6-cylinder diesel air compressor that puts out 175 psi through a 1" hose that goes to a 600-lb. pressurized sand pot, then comes out of the pot through a 2" hose with a 12" solid carbide nozzle.

Our operator uses a special hood that has a fresh air supply pumped into the hood. And he also wears leather long-sleeve clothing made for welders.

All together, it cost us about $12,000 for this equipment.

I would strongly suspect that John and Mark are right - trying to do this without the right machinery will be VERY difficult.

I would be glad to give you a quote for producing your signs at wholesale if that would help.

joe
03-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Russ,

Why are you wanting to blast if you have a CNC?

Here's a photo of Terry, my main guy, blasting away on some Cypres. With a booth it's a friendly job.

Wish you were closer, you could come over and use ours. It'd be fun.

Joe

joe
03-30-2008, 11:05 AM
O, I forgot to mention.

It looks like the nozil isn't pointing in the right direction. We are using a right angle tip. That way we have better controll when making vertical movements.

chiloquinruss
03-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the comments. My problem is that not only am I in a rural area my closest town is also 'rural' in it's facilities. I may take some of you up on your offers to wholesale my jobs to you. I really appreciate this forum and the open passing of this kind of information. Thanks again. Russ

joe
03-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Why are you wanting to sandblast? And What!

brucehiggins
03-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Joe,
"Why are you wanting to blast if you have a CNC?". Begs the question "Why do you blast?" though looking at that cyprus I think know the answer.
Is it faster to make a blasted sign? Can you use the shopbot to cut the stencils (are they called masks?) or is there an easier way? I was asked to make a 10' x 3' sign but don't want to tackle it now with my 48"x48" shopbot. If I could make the stencils and have it blasted I could take the job.
Bruce

joe
03-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Bruce,

Thanks for your letting me know your intensions.

The photo of Terry blasting the Cypress is for a perminent Grain Pattern File to replace the blasting. My goal is to use our blasting equipment for post and pans. I'm a terible cook. It's gonna come in handy.

For years now I've been wanting to replace my blaster with a CNC. However it wasn't until I purchased a 3D program that I could almost completely replace the blasting process.

Blasting is a much slower and dangerous. It's also expensive. Bruce you must have at least 100CFM to do most work. That means a screw compressor. Electric is a real times saver. A gas or diesel unit mean maintenance and gas, and oil, and filters, and etc. A good used electric willsell for about $5000. You gotta blast a whole bunch to make it pay. And it's dirty, nasty, work. Did I mention Back Breaking?

Our system: Electric screw, 175CFM, 300lb pot, 100lb pot and 50lb pot, not to mention the blast booth and a real handy dead-man pressure cutoff. If you do go that way, be sure not to use sand. Silacoses is a deadly disease.

I'm not sure what program you are using but it shouldn't be any problem to route out any legnth with your 4' bed. I've made several 12' signs on my old Shopbot.

Let me say again, sandblasting is a legnthy process. Although 3D files seem slow in carving, at the end of the process, you will be way ahead with the router.

Any I wish you the best. Wish you were around the corner so we could go through the process together. I'd turn on the pot and let you have a go at it, to see how much fun it is.

Another option is to rent the equipment for a weekend.

Joe

zeykr
03-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Bruce,
You can cut the sandblast mask using a vinylmate on your shopbot. Maybe not quite as good as having a pinfeed plotter for sandblast mask, but works well. I cut mask for a local monument company on my bot using the vinylmate.

Check with your local monument company about doing your blasting, most do that type of work on the side.

chiloquinruss
03-30-2008, 04:21 PM
The reason I was looking at sand blasting was because I really like the look of the woodgrain backgrounds you folks are getting on your signs. If I read between the lines here, that if I get my act together, and really learn the 3d stuff better, I may not need to do SB. Am I reading that correctly? Russ

joe
03-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Yep

chiloquinruss
03-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks.