PDA

View Full Version : Can this be used to make signs??

myxpykalix
12-17-2006, 02:07 AM
A guy has some of this for sale and i'm not sure if it can be used for signs or not? sorry for the poor quality image but the size restrictions here make it hard to post a good pic

joewino
12-18-2006, 09:01 AM
What is it? Insulation foam?

harryball
12-18-2006, 09:45 AM
I can't tell what that is... white low density foam such as used in packaging?

I have 4x8 sheets 3" thick I use to pack bat houses. I run it through the bandsaw to make 2"x3" strips we then cut to length and package.

I tossed a sheet on the CNC one day to try a test carve, the results were poor. The foam is too pourous to create a smooth surface. The stuff also creates chips that stick everywhere due to static electricity.

The HD foam works much better and doesn't stick to everything when cutting.

The stuff is cheap though, I think we pay $16/sheet

Robert

brian
12-18-2006, 05:19 PM
I believe that is EPS(expanded polystyrene foam)which is an open cell foam that can become waterlogged over time if not protected from the elements.
Brian

David Iannone
12-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Jack,
I think it can be used for signs. Just not CNC carved. It can be hot wire cut, then sprayed with a overcoat like rhino lining or line-ex. The guys that do the spray in bed liners. Basically some of the "Fake Stone" looking monuments use that foam as the core. They hand carve,sculp,cut,hack....etc. Then spray the very durable hardcoat overtop, paint, and you have a great outdoor sign. I would suggest by it cheap, glue up chunks together, hand carve or hot wire cut shapes, monuments, letters, then have them hard coated.

Dave