PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Color Core Product?

gerald_martin
11-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I need to make a simple v-carved sign for our church. We have a 2 post sign (4x4 posts, about 4 feet wide and 3 feet high) with MDO board that is delaminating. We want to put a new board on each side of the existing panel.

Isn't there an exterior grade color core product (white facing, black substrate) that we can v-carve lettering into to avoid any painting? What's the brand name?

Thank you sign gurus.

Gerald

dakers
11-29-2008, 08:18 PM
http://www.laminations.com/
they have polytone
and www.kingplastic.com (http://www.kingplastic.com)
they have king color core
I have tons of scrap in stock. some scratch and dent. i can look on monday and see about that size and color.

chodges
11-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Dick - Do you happen to know if King ColorCore can be cut or engraved with a laser?

Thanks!

dakers
11-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Charlie,
i have a 48''x approx. 60'' cut off of 12'' white/black/white from king color core. Looks to be in like new condition. I think that will ship ups so no skid or freight needed. i can cut down to 3x4' I can check on shipping cost when office is open Monday if you are interested. could sell the 3x4 for $50. plus shipping.
Lasers do not work with this product as the hdpe just melts. also you may not be able to do v carving on letter strokes much wider than 1/2'' stroke but can just rout flat bottom. You want to check your files to make sure the router bit will work with the fonts you choose. we do not like to use anything smaller than 1/8'' bit

dakers
11-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Charlie, i meant 1/2'' not 12''
and you want to use all carbide sharp bits. minimum 1/4 shank.
we use bits from www.hartlauer-bits.com (http://www.hartlauer-bits.com)
the ones for soft plastic. some bits will melt the hdpe making clean out almost impossible. finish up with propane flame after clean out to take away burs and rough edges.

dakers
11-30-2008, 04:21 PM
goofed again.
the price for the scrap piece was meant to go to Glen,
i need to pay more attn.

dakers
11-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I am not ok today. i meant price to Gerald.
just trying to post things to quick so i can go to bathroom

jhicks
12-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Gerald, here is a photo of a church sign face we just finished for another sign shop. The material is a brown/white core material made by industrial polymers but esentially the same as color core or poly tone.
Where are you from Chicago/Milwaukee area? There is a distributor near Milwaukee (LAKE COUNTRY PLASTICS 920-387-4110)that sells the industrial polymer brand.
Cutting was done with NEW modified 1/8" down cut 2 flute spiral end mill. The mod was to lightly knock off the sharp corners of the end mill tips with a sharpening stone to eliminate sharp step over mill marks. We used a speed of 120 IPM at 13,000 rpm and a depth of .125 on 1/2" stock with about a 35% or 40% step over.
I like to start the area clear from the outside of the vectors to get a clean/crisp edge and run in conventional direction.
As far as the "fuzzies" folks discuss, I feel its all a matter of a sharp bit but when they do appear, I use a stiff plastic or brass bristle brush to knock them off. I tried a flame but way too touchy and prone to intermittent melted areas.
One final note of caution. This plastic tends to really need a sharp cutter. Its not going to "break away" like wood chips tend to do. So as it cuts, you will get thin strings of material wrapping around the bit that need to be cleared off occasionally or they create one of 2 conditions.
1) The material wraps up the bit and eventually starts to rub the surface of the material and interefere with the cutting edge. This can burnish/melt the top of the sheet and cause less then clean cuts.
2) Worst case is the string wraps around the bit AND the cutting area so the material does NOT cut at all. This string is now attached to the bit on one end and NOT cut from the sheet on the other. Results can be enough resistance so the motors actually stall from being tied to the sheet with this string of tough material and you lose position.
Trust me, I've ruined a full sheet when not watching. Good news is you can turn it over for a redo.
Solution is... Create smaller files in segments so the file stops in about 10 to 15 minutes of cutting, clear the bit, run the next file or stop on an elevated Z section of the file, stop the spindle, and clear the bit, then re start.

Definately experiment before going for the full sign to dail in your preferences.
Good Luck

gerald_martin
12-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the advice and offers, everyone...I think I have a source for a color core product, and I'll try to post my results when we get to that stage. Could be a couple of weeks.

I talked to Ed Lang as well, he gave me some helpful pointers about cutting plastic materials.

Gerald

jd_graphics
12-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Gerald,

Centurion Tools makes a bit precisely for color-core materials.

http://www.centuriontools.com/router_bits_toolcase/centurion_tools_showcase.html?splashPG=y&__max=6&p ageID=1&cart=122822608627464131&id1=374&id2=15&id3 =740&startat=1&--woSECTIONSdatarq=740&--SECTIONSword=ww

I can not express enough how wonderful these guys are to work with. Check them out if you have a chance.

Justin

dakers
12-02-2008, 10:45 AM
If anyone near canton ohio wants free scratched color core i have hundreds of pieces. would be great if you ever donate signs that are viewed from distance that do not have to be perfect.
we have a stack over 10 feet high from over a decade of making thousands of hdpe signs. i hate to see them sitting around. many differeent sizes and colors. We are not in the business of selling materials.

However if you need something right away it would be better if you went to a supplier as i do not have alot of spare time to act fast.

dakers
12-02-2008, 01:42 PM
63-710 = 1/8 75 to 100 IPM
63-718 = 3/16 150 IPM
63-725 = 1-4 150 IPM
These are Onsrud Bits I get them from Hartlauer Buts 1-800-644-2487
these are the model numbers, etc of router bits we have used for hdpe sheet. we have never had a problem with these.

gerald_martin
12-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Hi Justin: I ordered one from Fred today, before I saw your post. (interestingly, he refered to your work)

We'll see how it cuts. Any suggestions on spindle speed and feed rate? I know that we probably need to run the spindle pretty slow to avoid melting material...

Gerald