PDA

View Full Version : Pocketing

coach
08-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Is there software that will size cutouts for cut letters to be dropped into?
I think this was talked about before but I was just able to turn my machine on when it was a topic.
Thanks, Dave

zeykr
08-12-2008, 08:18 AM
David,
I think there are several ways to do this.

While Artcam has an inlay capability built in and you can add an offset to open up the pocket a little, specialized software is not really necessary.

Here is a video by vectric on doing inlay: http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/support/videos/Manual_Inlays.avi

The inlay process detailed would work with most any software. It basically smoothes all the inner and outer curves so they are capable of being cut with a specified size bit.

Another way is simply to offset the letter vectors outward a ways and use the offset vectors to cut the pocket.

A trick I think came from Joe Crumley is to cut the letters with one bit and the pocket with the next size larger bit.

The offset or larger bit method does not make the exact fit that the inlay method does, but does not require changing the shape of the letters to be able to cut the inside corners. Having an oversize pocket for the letter often increases the shadow effect.

joe
08-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks Ken for posting.

If David is interested in very precise inlays, the most accurate proceedure is to use the Inlay process found in Artcam or other software programs. However, on all my work it's so fast and easy to go up to the next size bit, for the pocketed area, to do the job. This will always leave a tiny outline.

I've inlayed 1/4" letters with this method. On these little fellows there's 1/64" outline around them. I personally like the look since it adds visual impact. Gary Norman had a look at some last weekend and gave it a thumbs up.

David, another neat trick is to cut the letters from a little thicker stock than the depth of the area clear. That way the letters are raised above the panel surface. Also there's the technique of using a small roundover bit around the area clear. Leaving a smooth indention on the pocketed area. This takes the process up a notch.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

coach
08-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Ken & Joe thanks for taking the time to post.
I will be trying the methods you both mention.

Thanks,,,,,,Dave