PDA

View Full Version : Letter mounting info

bleeth
08-18-2006, 10:48 AM
I have received a request from a client to cut their Logo in Corian and mount it to the wall with "pinmounts" Not being a sign guy I could use a little input into where to get that type of thing. One of the walls we are mounting it to is good wood panelling. The other is TBD.

kerrazy
08-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Use 1/8 inch machine screws and cut the heads off. Epoxy them into the corian. Then insert in to the wall setting with silicone.

Dale

bleeth
08-18-2006, 05:03 PM
I don't think my client would accept screws but some cut 1/8" stainless or aluminum rod could be just the item. I'm starting to picture drilling template for wall made with same program for drilling back of corian prior to cutting out parts. Sounds like a plan.
Thanks for getting the brain working Dale.

Dave

rookie432
08-19-2006, 12:07 AM
http://www.transco-neon.com/esem6_000026.htm

Dave,
I think this is what you want. You can get these from most sign supply places. You wil want the pads and not the blocks. The way they work is to put a glob of silicon or adhesive on the back of your letter and mount the pad. Then you install the threaded aluminum rod with a pad on the opposite end. You can put multiple pads per letter. Put silicon on the opposing pad and mount to the wall. If you strech masking tape or duct tape over the letters and to the wall this wil give the silicon time to dry in place.

joe
08-19-2006, 07:19 AM
The easy way:

Place a couple of pieces of 3M Gel Tape on back of letter, as a temp fix, while Lords Adhesive sets up. Five minutes to rock hard.

bleeth
08-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the tips guys-It's a high end client and they will definitely want the letters suspended off the wall on pin mounts and the letters are not large enough for the pads to be hidden. I'll need to go the aligned holes and rod method. What the heck-That's what a CNC is for.

joe
08-19-2006, 10:20 PM
When installing letters that are scheduled to be off the wall surface, we cut aluminum sleves that cover the allthreads. This assures a constant distance from the wall. We paint these sleves with the same color paint as the wall.

Over the years I've installed hundred of these in hospitals, court housed and executive suites and have found experience to be invaluable. Hole patterns, made in the shop, are allmost useless. We use a lazer level.

The degree difficulty of alignment is proportional to the distance off the wall. For example 1/4" is easy compared to 3/4"

I love this type of work. It's allways a challenge. It brings a premium price too.

steve_wms
08-21-2006, 07:25 AM
Hole patterns almost useless?

Maybe in your experience, mine is different.

beacon14
08-21-2006, 03:10 PM
My SOP would also be to make a template using the same CAD drawing, but I don't do a lot of lettering or signs so I don't understand why a SB cut pattern would not be helpful

mikejohn
08-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Joe
I also use hole patterns for fixing. They work perfect for me every time.
Can you explain why you find them almost useless please?
I use a level to make sure my hole pattern is level, of course.

.......Mike

wcsg
08-22-2006, 03:02 AM
I use hole patterns too.

I mirror my FCO letters, insert my 1/4" or 3/16" circles for holes and apply those to my mirrored letters (Backs of the letters) in my sign program.

Then in PW I make those circles drill points and profile cut the letters upsidedown after all drill points are cut in my sheet. Later I'll tap the holes or thread them.

Then use my plotter to scratch me out a wall pattern mirroring the letters yet again with the drill points. Now I have a perfect pattern for my FCO's and insert small short allthread into the backs of the letters for the installation.

This is my quick speedy way