PDA

View Full Version : ColorCore and Fuzzies

rcnewcomb
04-15-2007, 12:30 AM
This was my first time cutting ColorCore. I was using a Freud 1/2" V60 at 2ips. I started at 10K RPM and eventually pushed it up to 13K RPM because I was getting "fuzzies". My maximum depth of cut was 0.125. I was able to clean off the fuzzies with my fingernail.

What would you have used for router and feed speeds?

harryball
04-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Well... not saying it's the problem but my experience with Freud bits has been less than good. I'd try a better (sharper) bit.

I don't know the scale I'm looking at but if the letters are small you probably never reached 2 ips. I think I'd probably have started close to the same settings but would start experimenting at this point.

Another good option would be to email Onsrud a photo and ask which bit they'd suggest for better results.

Robert

bud_olsen
04-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Randall

I have cut Color Core in the past and I had the same thing happen, I have tried some things and the only thing I found to work is a fingernail or a screw to get down in the V grove.

Bud

jhicks
04-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Randall, that doesn't look too clean from the photos. The v cut process in color core isn't the best but it can be much better than that.
Using the earlier referenced radiused corner end mills area clear is often our final choice of cut strategy.
The best surface condition on V cuts we have experienced is from a Hersaf replaceable insert bit. Must have sharp cutter and dial in feed/speed. I believe we run around 12,000 rpm at 90IPM or 1.5 IPS.
At that shallow depth you can achieve much better cuts. It also looks like a lot of chatter marks. As far as cleaning up any fuzzies, we use a plastic bristle brush and simply scrub out/off and small debris.
I can't see the detail too well but it appears the cut depth may be taking 2 passes down leaving a tool mark between passes? Could that be correct?
How were you holding the material down?
Its gotta be dead flat and secure to be consistent across the entire surface.
Nothing like more experimentation but dont give up. once you dial it in its a simple cut and deliver.

rcnewcomb
04-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Jerry,

This was our first try using a Freud bit. Others have mentioned that their experiences with Freud bits were less than wonderful.

Regarding chatter, the bearings in the router are coming up on 2 years old so I may be getting a bit of runout. I also know my Z counterbalance is in need of adjustment. The new springs are on the workbench.

Yes, it was taking 2 passes. Re-zeroing at -0.01 and rerunning cleaned up some of the mess.

I was using vacuum hold down on material that was 12"x12".

This was a freebie sign for the church. They were delighted with the result. I'm not in the sign business but this was a good learning experience. If you can't make money, at least you can learn something.

jhicks
04-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Understand. The key is experimenting and moving forward. The good news is, you can make some $ with color core especially after you have some excess inventory and dial in bits, speed, & feeds.
We like to promote color core as the mid range sign option if they can live with the color choices.
With vinyl at between $15.00 and $35.00/ sq ft, color core provides a great alternative, lasts forever, allows for custom dimensional art, and is competitive value at between $45.00 and $75.00/ sq ft depending on size, detail, cut time, and material thickness.
Works well for horse barns and stalls since its easy to clean and cut/invoice with no/little secondary process time.
Vac puck is the way to hold down, just be careful that center of the piece doesnt draw down deeper than edges or your depth will vary and miss core color sometimes. Shim the middle with gasket tape same thickness as edges in as many areas as necessary and you should have good results.
Keep up the good work.