PDA

View Full Version : ShopBot Link Nesting effectiveness

dlcw
06-29-2009, 11:45 PM
ShopBot Link Gurus,

I'm a little perplexed by a nesting layout (see below) that ShopBot Link did with a simple test cabinet I've been working with. I was wondering why it did not move part 6 between part 5 and 7 and save a bunch of plywood. If there is a problem in getting it to fit, it seems like it could have moved part 3 and 4 further down the plywood to allow 6 to fit. I used a Y nest for this as I like having long off-falls versus short off-falls.

Is there something in the nesting algorithm that is not handling this situation correctly?

Thanks,

Don

dlcw
06-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Correction on this.

Part 6 sticks out in la-la land. Part 4 and 5 have the big open space between them where I would have thought that 6 should go.

Don

Gary Campbell
06-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Don...
When there are a small number of parts... a human will almost always be able to nest "better" than a computer. The real advantage increases as the part count does.

In most cases, I am happy that my computer doesnt think like I do. This may be one of the exceptions.
Gary

dlcw
06-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Gary,

Thanks for the feedback. I've sent the files to Thermwood at their request. Maybe they can make some sense of it. I'm with you that this is an exception to effective nesting of a small number of parts.

Thanks for the clarification on the G code in your email you sent. I've found my ShopBot to definitely air cut much better then a post processor output from Partworks.

Don

thewoodcrafter
07-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Don
Any feed back from Thermwood yet?

dlcw
07-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Roger,

Other then their reply of "what you see is what you get", no.

I was hoping for more. Oh well.....

Don

beacon14
07-02-2009, 04:21 AM
Do you have the ability to manually modify the placement of parts on the sheet after the software completes the nesting?

englert
07-02-2009, 08:17 AM
There are 10 posts on the Thermwood forum regarding this topic. Larry Epplin, our Programming Manager provided quite a bit of information regarding this. Additionally, I sent a private email. Both Larry's and my comments indicated that he should try to next in the X versus the Y direction or vice versa. Larry tested that concept and from our end it produced a better nest or one that you'd expect. Larry also took the time to include drawings that illustrate the two methods and results of nesting direction. I've included an attachment of those drawings.

Other settings in nesting program may also affect the nest.

Currently, you can not manually modify the location of the nested parts by dragging and dropping or anyother means. So Don is partially correct when he says "what you see is what you get", but at the same time it seems that there is a satisfactory solution.

Thanks,
Dennis Englert
Manager of Product Training
Thermwood Corporation

kerry_fullington
07-02-2009, 08:20 AM
David,

The ability to manipulate the nest is something that has been on the eCabinets "Wish List" (and it seems the control nesting wish list) for quite some time. It has never been implemented. The only way I have been able (again in eCabinets) to change the nest is by adjusting the size of the material until it nests properly. You have to be careful doing this and it isn't the ideal solution but it sometimes works.
Maybe Don's posts on the Thermwood forums will emphasize the need for improvement in this area.

Kerry

Gary Campbell
07-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Guys...
I am glad that Dennis and Kerry made the trip over here to clarify.

I was surprised at the verbiage of Don's response above as I had followed the thread on the eCabs forum. It appeared to me that, even tho it may not have been the exact answer Don was looking for, it was explained very well as being one of those situations that "happens" in the real world when using a nesting program. There were some alternative methods expained that may give the user better results.

The ShopBot Link is the 5th such program that I have had opportunity to use for nesting of cabinet type parts and it does as well, if not better than the rest. I have not had more than passing experience with the $20K+ applications, but they seem to have both their strong and weak points in this area.

I will echo the wish for a "manual renest", since all of us think about this differently, and none of us think like our nesting software, this would be a great added feature.
Gary

dlcw
07-02-2009, 11:31 AM
To everyone here,

I would like to sincerely apologize for my post on 7-1. I was having an very bad day trying to get things working here along with other problems. Unfortunately, I let that frustration flow into my response to Gary's post.

I have nothing but admiration for the great job that all the folks at Thermwood and ShopBot are doing to help make things a little easier for us out here in the field. You guys have my utmost respect.

I will make it a point in the future to make sure that I calm down prior to posting responses here.

Again, I apologize for that post and wish I could retract it.

Sincerely,

Don

itoolfred
07-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Don,
I don't have the shopbot link but have been nesting on the THM control for several years now (I believe code is the same). Many times, changing the size of the material + 1/2" or so and messing with the collar can change the nest and it will still fit on your sheet w/out problem.
I hope this helps,
Fred

dlcw
07-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Thank you very much Fred.

I will try that. I know when I reduced my cabinet size down by 1/2" it completely changed the nesting. I like your idea much better of keeping my cabinet the size I need and manipulating the material size a little.

Don