PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Raised Letters

bpfohler
01-20-2008, 10:29 PM
Ok, more raised letter questions.
I've been playing with routing out a pocket,cutting out and gilding letters and then fasting them in the pockets.
Is Gorilla glue the preferred method of fasting the raised letters into the pockets and is there a trick to avoiding that foaming squeeze-out the usually comes from the Gorilla glue?

Brady Watson
01-20-2008, 10:43 PM
"...is there a trick to avoiding that foaming squeeze-out the usually comes from the Gorilla glue?"

Yes, to a certain degree. You won't eliminate all the foaming, but you can reduce it by doing the following: Fill a spray bottle with water. Liberally wet the parts to be fit together. Apply the glue & press the parts together to spread the glue. Pull them apart and let them sit 5-10 min. Then spray both halves with water again & clamp. This also works for when you glue foam together with GreatStuff or Foam2Foam.

Be sure to test on scrap before doing it for real.

-B

john_l
01-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Most times I just use a little clear silicone depending on the material. I just did several and you'd have to really pry to get them back off.

joewino
01-21-2008, 08:56 AM
We use Super Glue, clear silicone, or West Systems epoxy.

godsman24_7
01-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the info on this fellows. I am trying to do the same thing in V-Carve pro and I am not able to pocket out the letters. I am trying to pockett "Cornerstone Customs" and it will not pockett the N, T, and R but it will do the rest. Any ideas of why. I am very new and had my fair share of problems. If I understand how you are doing the raised letters is that you are cutting the letters out and then writing a pocket file and then gluing the letters into the pocket? Thanks for your time guys.
John

steve4460
01-21-2008, 07:13 PM
your cutter diameter has to be smaller then the area your trying to clear out .
Bot on

jseiler
01-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Flattening out a plastic drinking straw then cutting it at a 45 degree angle makes a nice little glue scraper that can get into corners and when it gets all gummy and full of glue, you can cut a new 45 on it. Sumo glue is a little better and it dries white (sometimes a real plus). Hot reactive poly might work for you

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6576&filter=titebond%20hipurforme r

There's a trick to doing pocketed letters in vcarve. Offset outward 1/2 bit diameter (for 1/4", use .125"), offset that vector inward 1 bit diameter (.25"). Offset that new vector 1/2 bit diameter (.125"). You'll end up with a vector that looks like the original, but compensates for the bit radius (remember to turn off sharp corners on the offset). There is a writeup on this on vectric's website regarding inlaying. Not sure if that's the issue, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

John