PDA

View Full Version : Finish on outdoor sign

jantj@c2i.net
03-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Hello..Im going to make an outdoor sign using birch, oak and merbau..

What finish do you recommend (clear) which could resist rought weather..?

billp
03-15-2005, 04:35 PM
How about some more details on the sign? Which of the above woods will actually BE the surface? "Resist rough weather" can also mean many things. Marine environment? Desert heat? Freezing/thawing cycles?

rookie432
03-16-2005, 09:03 AM
Pelucid,

I have several signs that have been outside for 2 years now. all 2" thick poplar. 1 with just standard paint and 2 clearcoated with pelucid. Pelucid signs show almost no wear or uv breakdown and very little warpage. The paint only sign is a mess.
I think you can still buy it from www.stmariegraphics.com (http://www.stmariegraphics.com)
or just google search pelucid.

my 2 cents

Bill

billp
03-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Bill/JanT,
If you DO choose Pelucid, I'd hope you read their information sheet where it tells you to use an "air supplied respirator when spraying", etc. In fact they tell you to wash it off your skin with Xylene, which is one of it's main ingredients....VERY nasty stuff...

rookie432
03-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Bill's right,
Had to open both bay doors when I was spraying this stuff. I'm fairly sensitive to these clearcoat products and my eyes started watering after spraying for about 5-10 minutes. Resperator went on after that. However, pelucid can be brushed on and has pretty good flow out capability so brush marks will disapear. Got a little orange peel effect with the spray but that could be my gun. I will say this about the product, (and the reason I liked it) Pelucid is crystal clear. No tinting like polyurethanes etc. Very high solid content so when it hardens its solid, and if you coat all around your sign etc. it almost seems like it is encased in plastic. This allows the wood to expand and contract but allows no moisture in. I think this is why I have no warping or cupping in the two signs I did before.
Biggest drawback for me was the high gloss finish. Sometimes high gloss is not the effect I'm going for. When that is the case I'll look to another substrate.

Bill

bleeth
03-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Have you ever tried to reduce the shine with 0000 Steel wool and a little oil? I know it works for most polyurethanes but have never worked with Pellucid.
Dave

rick_woodward
03-23-2005, 01:58 AM
Hi Guys, new member. I read with interest about pelucid. So i did a search for it. Its an interior finish. Bill Jarvis, you say its been outside for two years. Thats remarkable. The glisten is exterior. 2 Part,but MAN that stuff is expensive. Around here, they want a sign, the best there is for $1.50 well, you know what i mean. I dont do signs anymore, hehe. $140.00 for pelucid and $155.00 for Glisten a gallon.... Ouch. Got any other real good clear finish for exterior wood? rick woodward

gerald_d
03-23-2005, 03:37 AM
An old thread on this topic. (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/3186.html)

Jant (Unregistered Guest)
03-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Re Bill P. :

The surface of the sign was a mix of the three sorts.. (I used intarsia)

The sign is now finished and I used oil on it. The result using oil came out fine..
I did speak to several sign makers and they recommended using oil.

Thank you very much for your answers and suggestions guys..

Nice easter to everyone

rookie432
03-23-2005, 08:32 AM
$155 a gallon is right...Ouch. However I was able to buy a quart for about $50. Half of that quart went on 24 sq ft of carved signage. That was spraying the pelucid on so I had more waste. That averages out to be about a dollar a sq ft for a coating that promised I wouldn't have to go back and repaint my signs in a year or two. For me the cost was worth it. For more info read the description on St Marie Graphics website to get a clearer understanding of this product. They have been handcarving hdu signs for years and mounting them in fairly harsh environments. They only use pelucid.
By the way I'm not a rep for Pelucid, I just happen to have experience with it and have been very satisfied. Many sign guys use a product called Frog Juice. Can be found at many sign supply houses. I havn't tried it but it may be worth a look.

Bill