PDA

View Full Version : Any Good HOOKAH Bar Sign Ideas?

joe
05-17-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm making a sign for the local HOOKAH Bar. Anyone have any experience or good ideas?

tmerrill
05-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Don't inhale!

joe
05-17-2009, 08:30 AM
HeeeHeee,

This must the voice of experience speaking! Any other good advice?

Please don't me begg.

Joe

rcnewcomb
05-17-2009, 09:32 AM
You could use the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland. John Teniel did the original illustrations.

zeykr
05-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Heck,
I had to go look up what a HOOKAH Bar even is. Too sheltered of a life I guess. You learn all kinds of things on this forum!

I guessed it was a fellow with a southern accent talking about the local bar where the pretty working ladies hang out.

cabnet636
05-17-2009, 11:32 AM
or "Mr Natural" anyone remeber him?

jim

joe
05-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Looks like I'm on my own with this. Again!

One of my customers told me this place was busting at the seams. Folks waiting in line to get in. A couple dozen Hookahs all fired up, lots of wine, beer, several beautiful belly dancers, and music has made it a hit.

Hey Ken, come on over and we'll go together. What with my inhailing so much sawdust, and sandblast sand I'm not good for smoking anymore but a nice glass of wine could sooth my nerves.

I'm considering a design around Ali Baba and his Seven Thieves. Or "I Dream of Genie" floating on a magic carpet.

If I make a big Hookah, how can I make it smoke?
Wouldn't that be keen!

Joe

rb99
05-17-2009, 12:28 PM
I would try something '60's retro...

Peace sign, those fonts, Hendrix.

Also the multi colored motif is used allot with Jamaican weed stuff.

RB

magic
05-17-2009, 01:11 PM
How about a long hallway (using perspective) and at the end is a hookah on a pedestal?

Or

Making the name of the joint out of letters that look like the pipe, in question.

Or

A city in outline (like Seattle) but using a hookah instead of a building (or the tower)

joe
05-17-2009, 02:12 PM
I think everyone has the right idea. Which is a more of a fantasy look. Something like what Richard suggest, Retro.

Here in the ciyt of Norman, moving signs are prohibited. I've always wanted to make an articulating sign. One that does somehting other than just sit there. wouldn't it be neat to have the hose moving around? That's something I could make quiet easily.

Isn't the sign business interesting?

Ken, are you coming over or what?

Joe

benchmench
05-17-2009, 02:31 PM
How about the sign puffing smoke? A Halloween smoke machine could probably do the job.

joe
05-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Dan,

How long do those things last?

Joe

tmerrill
05-17-2009, 03:12 PM
How about something along the lines of a lithopane of the smoke cloud, backlit by a light source with some type of revolving screen so the level of light reaching the lithopane is constantly changing???

rb99
05-17-2009, 04:11 PM
I would not get into the "opium den" images.

It should be appealing, not dingy and "off".

Are they not more about the people that go there then the herbs they smoke?

Cheers,

RB

zeykr
05-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Sounds like fun Joe. Hope to get over there and see you one of these days before too long.

joe
05-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the good idea's fellows.

Sometimes it pays to think outside the box and that's what's happening with this project. All the ideas given are very inovative and appreciated.

I would very much like to include the smoke idea. I looked at the equipment, which isn't expensive but it's going to require maintenance. And the lithophane concept would be excellent indoors. They are very deliclate visually and would work well at night. During the day they would probably be just a bloob. The sign is 15' off the ground.

Richard brings up an excellent point. Who is the clientel. For the most part they are college kids, many are from the middle east. There are also lots of people hanging around the Tatoo parlors and I suspecious they are hookah fans also.

I do know the police has raided them several times and it ends up with an appology. They are strait arrows when it comes to the legal aspect. Still I don't want my sign to look like it's designed by "Parents Day Out".

Thanks again for all the good idea's. I'm thinking! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm thinking mmmmm mm mmmm m

benchmench
05-17-2009, 05:37 PM
I agree with Richard about images. The hookah bar concept is trying to become mainstream and attract a target demographic. Perhaps the owner might have an idea who this is (unless he is sampling too much product!)

Here's some info about smoke machines. DJ's use them year round http://www.cheapdjgear.us/Fog_Machines_and_Fog_Juice_s/22.htm?gclid=CK_u7cWnxJoCFQ6jagodknMdrQ

Fog Juice:
http://chemistry.about.com/lr/smoke_machines/362585/1/

joe
05-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Dan,

The owner is a very pleasant Pakastani fellow. I can't understand much about what he thinks. He seems open to almost everything I suggest.

A couple of concerns I have with the fog machines are, how long will they produce fog until needing to be refilled. This owner is about 60 and doubt he'd feel comfortable, during the winter, on a ladder filling up the machine.

These machines work on either oil or water. Due to cold weather, water might be a problem. The oil may work fine. I wonder about the oil getting on the sign when used over the years.

Perhaps we could also use some mosquito killer.

Really though, I don't want to get repair calls so I'm not going in this direction. I might buy one of the little cheepie units for fun.

Hope everyone visits the websites you posted. It's amazing how affordable these machines are.

Joe

mitch_prest
05-17-2009, 08:10 PM
G'day Joe

whats the name of the bar.. that might help with what direction to go with the sign

m

myxpykalix
05-17-2009, 08:39 PM
I have used smoke machines a lot working in movies and television. The problem ultimately is that the solution used to make smoke is designed to make an area look like fog as opposed to a stream of smoke coming out of the end of a bong.

The smoke they create does not smell or you don't have a problem breathing it, so its not toxic.
What would create a better effect but ultimately be harder to use and more expensive would be dry ice.

joe
05-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks Jack,

Mitch,

The name is "Hookah Bar" I agree it would sure be nice if had a good title like Miskhieees, or something like that. The owner's name is Moe. That might not work so well.

terryjones
05-18-2009, 12:32 AM
Joe,
Try this.

Terry

joe
05-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks Terry. Good find.
The Hookah Hot Spot was just begging for this kind of image since the title gives it away. Interesting how they left off the H in the name.

I knew there was a scene in Aline in Wonderland. Thanks for the reminder. It it me or is that hose not connected to the pipe?

Attached is a portrait of Ali Baba from Beardsley's "Seven Thieves". I made this one up for a Letterhead meet way back when. He still hangs in my display room.

I probably shouldn't have put lipstick on him but should have given him a little gotee. It was all in fun.

Joe

mitch_prest
05-18-2009, 11:31 AM
i think i can fix you up with a 3d caterpillar and a 3d hookah if you are interested..
mitch

joe
05-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks Mitch,

I appreciate the offer. A good 3D piece would be interesting.

I've decided on a concept and the project is now started. I'll have her finished up in a couple of day. I'll post a few pix as she comes together.

This should be a fun project.

Joe

khaos
05-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Support your Local Hookah ... Also a great T-shirt

mitch_prest
05-18-2009, 09:20 PM
if you decide you want to do a 3d .. let me know and I can put the caterpillar or other and the hookah at a piano or sittin at a bar.. whatever you like.. got some time on my hands as I am still laid up and can't play on the bot...

joe
05-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Mitch,

Thanks for the offer. I'm well on my way and she should be finished up in a couple of days.

I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone. They were a real help. Now I'm down to making it happen. No excuses will be accepted. It's hammer and tong from here out.

Where's those screws? Who took my dang screws? I need an assistant, jut to keep up with the stuff.