PDA

View Full Version : Signmaking material

myxpykalix
08-03-2008, 09:56 PM
OK, I know this may have been asked a million times BUT since i don't make signs i don't pay too much attention. A friend has asked me to make him something and my question is, what is the best WOOD to use for a sign. He doesn't want signfoam or extira, or any of these fancy materials just something simple so I wondered what wood would be the best for a siple 24" round or 15"x30" outdoor sign. Also since it is wood what surface protection would be best for it? Thanks guru's!

ljdm
08-03-2008, 10:34 PM
White oak is fairly water-impervious. Holds up well, plain or stain, spar urethane for exterior. My 2 cents - works for me.

cabnet636
08-04-2008, 06:37 AM
i ordered cedar blanks from alumapanel and they were perfect,

here is brand

http://www.allwoodsignblanks.com/

blackhawk
08-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Jack - Western Red Cedar would probably be your best choice as James suggests. I have been searching for a source around Virginia. The closest place that I have found is The Hardwood Store of NC. They are near Greensboro.

For finish, I have heard a lot of people to suggest Sikkens brand. They have a Cetol Log Cabin Stain. I have a local paint store that sells it for $70 a gallon. My paint store does sell a little half pint can that is meant as a color sample. One of those may be big enough to do just one sign.

brucehiggins
08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
I agree with Brad on Cedar and Sikkens. Another finish option if you want a natural look and the carved part to have good contrast is the following: apply a good coat or 2 of 2 part penetrating epoxy sealer ( http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/index.html ), vcarve the sign, apply a dark penetrating stain to the carved part wiping excess off sealed part, then after allowing to dry apply epoxy sealer to carved part followed by 3 coats of marine spar satin varnish to the entire sign. Every 3 to 5 yrs lightly sand the sign and apply another coat of marine spar varnish. It looks nice and I have been assured it will hold up well to the elements.

myxpykalix
08-04-2008, 03:28 PM
What would a 15"x30" sign with maybe a VectorArt3d carving and a couple lines of text be worth (one of those friend deals)? Just for the labor of carving, not put together or finished.

thecustomsignshop
08-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Cedar - Allwood Industries

Friend cost- 350.00 Plus Materials.

If you need help with finishing, let me know. Cedar can be hard to work with sometimes.