PDA

View Full Version : Painting Solid Surface

david_gardner
05-25-2009, 05:04 PM
I have a small sign I cut out of solid surface material that I would like to paint. It is going outdoors but on a covered porch and will not get direct sunlight or rain.

Any recommendations for products and techniques to paint it?

bleeth
05-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Since Solid Surface is Acrylic and non-pourous you may have a bonding problem. I would experiment with good old Testors model paint, since it has been made for adherence to plastic for many years (although different plastic). Also Krylon is advertising a product made for plastic also to be used on things like PVC furniture. Technique would be scuff up the area to be painted to give it some kind of texture to adhere to.
If the paint was just to highlight letters or numbers I would carve them as pockets and inlay different color solid surface in them or use one of the "fill the carved pocket" methods that has been gone over in the last few days. For Solid Surface using a contrasting color of their own adehsive gives great results.

dakers
05-25-2009, 08:25 PM
We have used Krylon Fusion with good results.
did about 100 small signs 3 years ago. no call backs.

rb99
05-25-2009, 11:40 PM
I would use 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove the surface plastic polymers.

After scuffing.

RB

mmccue29
05-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Hey David Hope you are doing well.
I have used oil base in the cut areas and it sticks, I have one sign that has hung outside for years no problem.