PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Sculpt Nouveau Silver C application

rcnewcomb
11-17-2008, 04:56 PM
I need some advice on applying Sculpt Nouveau with a brush. I'm getting brush marks. I'm OK to sand them out but wonder if I just need to thin the stuff a bit. Care to offer some input?

Background:
I have a few plaques carved out of MDF that I want to use Sculpt Nouveau Silver C. At a Shopbot Camp I saw a Rolls Royce plaque that looked like pewter. I'm going for that look. These plaques are V carved and/or 3D carved.

I talked to the people at Sculpt Nouveau. Based on their input I did a primer coat on the MDF, followed by 2 coats of Silver B, and then will finish with 2 coats of Silver C.

I'll apply a bit of the black patina during the final coat. I plan on using either steel wool of 800 grit sandpaper to buff up a bit of a shine. I'm going for more of a pewter look, not polished chrome.

billp
11-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Randall,
I have found that the "hard" foam brushes work pretty well with SN if you don't load them up too heavily. Some foam brushes are too soft ( Depot style) and they don't work well at all. You'll want almost a "dry" sponge effect when doing this.
You can also get more of the pewter look by using the SN black wax on top of the final coat of silver coating as you can see from the attached "Air Rhino" statue...This was done only using the "B"coating by the way.

rcnewcomb
11-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Bill,

Thanks for your advice. The foam worked very well. Amazing what a difference the right application makes.