PDA

View Full Version : How best to glue down laminates on foam and cut

gfacer@istar.ca
02-17-2002, 08:46 PM
I have a job shop that does some foam letters along with mainly acrylic work. I get, for time to time, request for foam panels (gatorfoam or similar), with either metal or formica laminated to it for giving a unique look.

The problems I regularly have is that the glue a) doesn't stick that well all over in a large panel so I can have seperation problems, b) the glue gets on the cutter and gets gummy and then starts to "scoop" out the softer foam underneath. and C) the metal sometimes beats up my cutter enough to cause heat problems from a dull bit, again "scooping" out the soft foam.

I know there are a number of resourceful sign makers here, so I thought I would troll for ideas. For what its worth, I'm using solvent based contact cement when I have to do this now.

Greg Facer, Industrial Plastics

joecrumley
02-17-2002, 09:06 PM
Greg,

I'm glad you posted this request. This is a continual problem for us, as we keep changing materials that are laminated together.

Most everything we do is outside.

Let me tell you what we do that seems to work pretty well, as along as the expansion rate between the two materials are not too great.

We use a palm sander on the glueing area, apply Wess Epoxy. There isn't a glue problem when routing. Also when routing aluminum facia materials we use a liberal amount of silicone spray tool release.

Look forward to hearing what others have done.

Joe

Wdyasq@yahoo.com
02-17-2002, 09:13 PM
If anyone is going to do much panel lamination they should look at a vacuum clamping set-up. Vacuum can supply over 2000 pounds per square foot pressure evenly. This will lower the amount of glue necessary, eliminate places where the panel was not touching or clamped and can be done at a more than reasonable cost.

Ron Brown - wdyasq@yahoo.com (mailto:wdyasq@yahoo.com)

If Stupidity got us into this mess,
then why can't it get us out? - Will Rogers

gfacer@istar.ca
02-18-2002, 08:38 AM
Hi Joe, Ron

Joe, I agree that epoxy will work well. But, its expensive, and I retail the stuff and therefore buy it wholesale! But, remembering other glues, maybe I'll try that polyurethane glue like Gorilla glue, etc. The problem is, like you say, the smoothness of the materials involved. Epoxy needs that sanding for sticking to plastics.

Ron, vacuum clamping will also help (alot), but takes time, use of my table for something other than cutting (vacuum table of course), and I have found that the corners can be crushed by the pressure. What set up do you use? Any glue recommendations?

Thanks, Greg

Wdyasq@yahoo.com
02-18-2002, 09:25 AM
Greg,

I built a 4 1/2' X 9' table, sealed with epoxy, to do panel work on. I use vacuum pumps capable of 25" Hg or more. If corner crushing is a problem, I place supports around the edges. A "platen", essentially a hard vacuum bag, can also be used.

I have used many of the polyurethane glues. Viscosity is the only difference I have noticed. I can buy "PL" brand cheapest. I have glued mahogany veneer to sheet metal with vacuum/polyurethane. BTW- 6 Mil poly-ethylene works fine for vacuum bags and is a lot cheaper than nylon.

If you write me off-line, I will furnish more information. Vacuum holding, clamping and dust removal have so many variables I am reluctant to give too much advice in a 'open' format.

Ron Brown - wdyasq@yahoo.com (mailto:wdyasq@yahoo.com)

If Stupidity got us into this mess,
then why can't it get us out? - Will Rogers