PDA

View Full Version : Letters & Letters

joe
07-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Hello my friends,

Over the years I haven't seen many posts about making and selling so I thought I'd post my experience.

About a year ago when I was considered going 3D there didn't seem to be a ready maket for that or wholesale letters and didn't want to paddle up a dead end creek. So, I made up a dozen neat sample letters and a 3D eagle. Then I called several sign shops and told them I was coming over to visit and show my stuff. I'd had decided to leave some of my samples behind. The reception was luke warm at best. There wasn't any commitments!

Everyone was interested in my 3D eagle thanks to Gary Beckwith. Samples were from PVC and Extira, except for the HDU Eagle.

It took about two months before the orders started coming in. That venture has paid off in dividends. Now I get calls for letters or 3D work all the time.

Lets not forget how special it is to have a router. This equipment can rake in money when advertised correctly.

Please forgive my harping on samples. Make lots of them. Samples, Samples and more Samples so the customer knows what's possible.

Think Scuplt Nouveau on SAMPLES.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

magic
07-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Are you saying that figures and objects sell better then letters?

And I'm sure the sign shop gets a discount. Do they?

joe
08-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Magic,

Letters will always trump 3D work at my shop.

Yes Gemini discounts their letters at 40% off their advertised prices.

Joe

magic
08-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Then the question is:

If sign shops can buy , wholesale, from Gemini what purpose do we serve? Or, why would a sign shop have us custom make letters, that are readily available?

joe
08-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Majic,

Excellent questions.

There are several reasons customers buy custom letters from us or anyone with a CNC. First, we offer lots of surfaces, textures and unique colors not available from the high production wholesalers.

I'd be glad to send you example photo's.

Another example is the layouts. Lets say you have a customer wanting a wall sign. I take the information and measurements back to the drawing board. Once the drawing is approved, I know the letter can be made in short order and they will kike a glove.

Folks like you, with a router, can do very well in this market. I've been selling Extira letters, exterior fiber board, to concrete mfg. for about a year. This started out as a local venture, now I have three states placing orders.

Joe

alister
08-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Joe,
Could I get a look at those photos too please?
Alister.

joe
08-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Alister,

Absolutely. I'd be pleased to gather up a variety of letter style with finishes and textures, and send them along.

Joe

magic
08-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm still confused what you do with the concrete letters.
But I'll send you my Email for you most generous offer.

coach
08-03-2008, 01:18 PM
May I see the photos too Joe?

Dave

dubliner
08-03-2008, 01:28 PM
count me in too Joe

paul_n
08-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi Joe....

Please send a set of your photos to Georgia !!

Thanks....
Paul jpcd40[at]comcast[dot]net

andyb
08-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Joe, Can you include me too?

Andy B.
abrooks60(at)charter(dot)net

joe
08-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks Fellow for your interest.

Little did know there was as much interest in the subject. I'm collecting some of my letter examples and will post them for everyone to see.

This may take a few days.

Joe

joewino
08-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Joe, Could you send me some samples of the money you have collected?

dubliner
08-04-2008, 06:42 PM
It'll have to be an STL as there will be piles of it :-)

ckurak
08-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Joe,

Thanks in advance for posting your letter samples.

Charles

coach
08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Joe motivated me to visit some sign shops.
I landed a job cutting 25" letters from 1/8" acrylic.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have cut letters only from hard wood.
I ordered from Onsrud a couple (63-724) bits.
1/4" single O flute up cut. As suggested by their tech support.
Do you guys think I will need tabs?
I have a 5 x 10 alpha with 2 Fein II vacs.
The owner of the sign shop named the price. He went into the Gemini catalog and took off 40%.
Good for me I think it is great money for the job. And he saves shipping costs to Fl.
Thanks in advance,,,
Dave

joe
08-07-2008, 04:37 AM
Notice to all:

Terry, my main man, had a severe heart attack Monday at the end of the work day.

He's now out of ICU, since last night, and doing well. I look forward to having back to work but may have to limit his activities.

I appologise for my tardiness of posting the letters and samples promised.

David; Congratulations on getting the work from the sign company.Remember to make up samples. It will hone your router skills and pay off big time.

I'd suggest you investigate buying a Belin "O"Flute for Plex. I'd use the offset technique for the first cut and come back later for the last pass with bridges.

Joe
www.normasignco.com (http://www.normasignco.com)

coach
08-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Joe,,,no need to apologize. Hoping Terry has a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on his well being.
When you get back on track maybe you can explain the "offset technique."
Thanks Joe,,,,,,our prayers are with Terry.

zeykr
08-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Please let Terry know we're thinking of him and wishing him a speedy recovery.

joewino
08-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Good news. When you called, it sounded very serious. Our prayers go out for him.

joe
08-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks fellows,

I'll tell Mr. T. you gave your best wishes.

I visited him last night and he's in good spirits and doing well. When he went down I thought it was all over. Thanks to the Emergency Medicine Ambulance crew, for keeping him alive. And to the nurses and doctors who are watching over him.

I've posted earlier about Terry. He's been with me for 18 years. I told his wife last night I believed I spent more time with him than she did. Honest to God, in those years, we've never had a cross word. And that's not because I didn't deserve some.

David,

I'm not sure what software you are using but most of them allow for a first pass. Lets say .125 offset. Then you come back with a clean-up pass. Of course this requires bridges or tabs.

I like cutting the bridges off with a little pneumatic cutoff tool I bought at Harbour Freight. It cost about $25.00. I use it all the time for Dybond too.

Tabs or Bridges: Sometimes when doing deliclate small letters I put in extra tabs. And most of the time I like big fat ones. They can be cut out quickly and reduced down ealily with a 1" table top belt sander.

I don't know how I managed without one of those little sanders. I hauled off and bought one from Harbor Freight for about $35. bucks. a few months ago. Terry used it so much he burned the thing up. So, now we have a Delta. It almost broke the bank at $100.

Joe