PDA

View Full Version : 3D Pricing

coach
08-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Recently cut some 3D from vector starter collection.
Most of these pieces took 30-45 minutes.
Some sanding also.
Can these small parts make any money for us?
Any suggestions on how to price.
I am full time business of cabinets and tops so I can't really afford to sell down.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Dave

myxpykalix
08-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm not sure that you would want to cut a full James Booth type 3d file into kitchen cabinets but one thing you can do is add flourishes, decorative corners and panels to your cabinets to add value.

joe
08-16-2008, 10:15 PM
David,

I think you will need to find a customer base.

You may want to consider wholesale to cabinet and furniture makers or some other manufacturer.

The field is wide open but will take a market search. Then you will need to let people know what you have to offer. You could be making beautiful 3D models ever but without showing the cutomers what you have, they may sit on the shelf.

You've probably notice I'm very aggresive with my sales. I target a market and go for it.

Joe

Joe

coach
08-17-2008, 09:01 AM
I have been targeting sign shops. (I should have mentioned that.) Ever since Joes post about samples I have been targeting sign shops. I have been to many cabinet shops as 70% of my business is tops. But the sign guys are way more receptive to the cnc.
One of the shops I made leters for is interested in the 3D. That's why I was wondering how to price.
What about trying to sell at any local business?
Is a 3D piece 6" x 6" worth what it takes to cut?
Thank you for taking the time to help,,,,
Dave

billp
08-17-2008, 10:19 AM
David,
In the past many Shopbotters have worked out a "formula" based on the size to be cut.Some people have settled on "$75 per square foot", and others have stated "75 cents per square inch". While it's certainly important to price this kind of work fairly (for both yourself , and your customers...) the MOST important thing is to HAVE a pricing structure in place so that when you get a phone call, or a face to face inquiry, you'll have an answer...!
Imagine going into a store to buy something, and when you ask the salesperson for it's price they say to you "well I'm not sure, I'll have to get back to you on that....."
"" 3D"in itself can include a wide range of work, ranging everywhere from Iso formed letters, to intricate scenery. The "art"here is to make sure your numbers will work for the jobs you take on.....

billp
08-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Some quick thoughts I've had since posting above;
One thing I tend to "preach"about at all the Camps is the way Shopbotters tend to set their prices.
In too many cases 'Botters "over compensate" for the fact that they are relatively new to this line of work (CNC) and as a result they are "apologetic"in their pricing structure.
Please be aware of a few concepts;
You MUST charge for your computer time! This is no less valuable than the time you spend picking up your sheet goods, loading ,and and cutting it, etc.
Customers EXPECT a "setup charge"and if you do NOT charge it the first time you work with them, it will be almost impossible to add it on when/if you do repeat business (yet if there IS repeat business it's easy to eliminate that charge as a token of good will...).
Have a MINIMUM charge in your shop ! Many people charge at least ONE (or more) hours for anything they do. If not you will find (believe me this is true) many customers who will try to order ONE rosette at a time...Once they understand that you HAVE such a setup charge they will begin to organize their orders more efficiently .( And remember that in many cases these same customers have NEVER dealt with CNC work before and they are sometimes mistaken in their concept that "he doesn't really do anything, that robot does it all for him"...).
Just remember; your customers aren't buying your "resumé", so it doesn't matter if you've only been doing this for a few months or a few years. You have to do a gut check and look at your finished work and ask"would I be willing to pay $----- for this level of craftsmanship"?
(As an aside, if I were an outside shop looking to get some work done, and the choice was between a new Shopbotter, and an older "big iron"machine shop, I'd go with the 'Botter since as a rule they always tend to "give away the store" in their efforts to convince them self that they can do comparable work...).
NEVER sell yourself, or your work short! If you don't think you are up to par, spend some time and improve your work, instead of lowering your prices...
Hope to see a bunch of you down in Atlanta at the IWF (where you REALLY get to see just how well we stack up against the big mortgage rigs.....).

jhicks
08-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Good advice Bill. The key is to understand the value to the customer and determine if that value allows one to make a profit. More profit the better and dont forget the competition for this type of low volume, dimensional custom work is a narrow field. The big guys do repetitive production of standard designs and get a pretty penny so small volume custom design and work in specialty materials should generate pretty dollars stacking up.
Never be afraid to sell up. Some will walk but others will appreciate the value and be able to absorb it and pass it on in their high end work.

rcnewcomb
08-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Our customer base for 3D work has been custom plaques. Our biggest surprise was that the customer was more than willing to pay for custom pieces. His alternative was having these hand-carved, which was even more expensive than what we were proposing.

We stopped worrying about the price and let the customer decide if the value was there.

joe
08-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Randall,

Good for you.

Anyone who owns a CNC has a Money Making Bazooka. But you gotta aim before pulling the trigger.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

coach
08-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Lots to ponder. As always plenty of great input.
Now I need to take aim and.........

Thanks guys,,,,,Dave

procarve
09-04-2008, 10:28 AM
I would add that depending on the material finish, carving one item and casting multiples can be much more lucrative. If the customer is going to paint the end item anyway, no need to carve it a thousand times, have your machine running on another project while you are casting this one.

Bill
www.RocketfuelSigns.com (http://www.RocketfuelSigns.com)
(formerly procarve cnc)