PDA

View Full Version : Help from the experts

mnaughton
11-21-2008, 10:04 AM
For the past few years I have been making awards for our football team using sublimated aluminum on 5"x7" pre-finished dark walnut plaques. My sublimation printer is not working so I am going to use the shopbot to v-carve the awards.
What would be the best method to paint the v-carve? Would vinyl transfer tape work as a masking material?
The plaques are clear coated already and the football coaches are fine with me leaving the carve unfinished but I would like to make them look a little nicer. I have about ten to make.

Feel free to post here or email me at mnaughton(at)d155(dot)org with any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Naughton
Cary-Grove High School

blackhawk
11-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Mike - I am new to sign making, but I have done exactly what you are asking about. I have used the Avery brand mask material over clear finished solid wood several times with excellent results. I purchased mine from Harbor Sales in Maryland. They sell a pretty small roll for about $25, that would be plenty for 10 pieces

brucehiggins
11-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Do you have a blank to practice on? If so you could try using a water-based paint (gold or white might look good) and a fine sponge and cloth to wipe up the excess. The clear coat should act as a mask.

nailzscott
11-21-2008, 07:33 PM
I had some stained wood that I wanted to paint the v-carving. Since the wood was already finished, I took some cheap clear contact paper, put it on, cut the v-carve through it, used some clear spray paint so that the lettering paint would not bleed on the grain, and after that dried, spray painted black for the lettering. Then I peeled off the contact paper about 10 minutes later. It came out great with no bleed or touchup.