PDA

View Full Version : Vector Cross Hatch Pattern

Call-Tech
01-21-2009, 04:34 PM
I understand vcarve pro has a way to add a cross hatch pattern to design. Does anyone know of a way to do this in Flexisign or Artcam?

I am trying to do some glass etching with Spring Loaded Engraving Tool and need someway to fill some areas and make them appear solid fill.

-Fred

steve4460
01-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Check out this post

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/38047.html?1232473169

Stephan www.windwardsigns.com (http://www.windwardsigns.com)

Call-Tech
01-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Stephan,

I read the other post and it did help me with the vector dr in Artcam, but not in filling a vector area with a crosshatch patter. I know of lots of ways to fill a vector with certain color, gradient tint, even bmp pattern. but I do not know of anyway to fill a vector with a vector cross hatch pattern. I could make rows of vector lines crossing each other and grouping them together, but they would not fill into shape of existing vector boundary. I know of ways to mask bmps with vectors, but I do not know of a way to mask or cut a bunch of vector lines to a shape or fill. That is what I am trying to figure out. I'm sure there is a way and I am just missing it.

Thanks for your help, I did have the check box checked in vector doctor to keep original.

-Fred

Here is a photo by Steven Knight of what I am trying to do. He uses Vcarve Pro and as I understand it, it has an auto engraving crosshatch fill. I am using Flexisign & Artcam Pro and looking for a way to duplicate this fill in letter engraving feature. All my letters outline like his Knight logo, I can not fill my letters like his "Dupont" and "your logo and art" I figure I have to put a vector pattern inside the letters somehow in order for Artcam to engrave inside them.

steve4460
01-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Try the "trim vectore to intersection" tool or the "vectore clipping" tool.See if that works . If not then maybe you can send me the file , and maybe I can draw these patterns . I have VC Pro then I can make an eps or dxf that you can take in to artcam to toolpath it .
bot on .

zeykr
01-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Will the engraving toolpath type in artcam work?
Might have to run it twice at opposite angles to get a true cross hatch pattern.

Call-Tech
01-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Well I think I found a solution... Maybe, if I can get the diamond bits to not break.

If the font vectors are closed, I can use the area clear in Artcam and fudge the numbers on the tool size to make it do a fill at whatever raster angle I prefer. It looked great, increased machine time 4 fold and broke my diamond bit yet again when half done.

These diamond drag bits are not holding up well, I have broke 4 of them just testing. $100 worth of bits so far and no completed work for pay!

Has anyone seen a source for 3/16" diamond tip bits? other than 2L @ $25 each

-Fred

steve4460
01-22-2009, 10:14 AM
what material are you carving in to ?. whts your speeds , stepdown etc.?.

Call-Tech
01-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Glass & mirror. Speeds between .5"/sec to 2"/sec. spring loaded tool has .400" of travel. Medium spring. Zero to top of material. to fudge software toolpath, I usually tell it to start at -.030 and cut to -.040 and step down is .100 so it is single cut on vector line.

steve4460
01-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Are you using cooling and what RPM ?. Check out the dremel tool cutters . I got some toolshop diamond cutters the other day that I tryed this with , at the lowest RPM with coolant .

Call-Tech
01-22-2009, 06:50 PM
No I am not using any coolant. How do you use coolant with a wood spoil board? The 2L tool is designed to be dragged or it can be spun at 3000 rpms, but I can not slow my PC router to 3000 rpms so I am just dragging.

steve4460
01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
It is messy . When I cut aluminum I put on a pice of scrap wood to fasten the aluminum to and then I use a WD40 spray can . I haven't use one of those drags yet . Did you surface your table befor your runniing this ?. I would guess that if there is any changes in hight over the pice that that will put more force on the cutter and that's why you keep breaking them off.

Call-Tech
01-22-2009, 10:21 PM
The Spring Loaded Engraving Tool has .400 of an inch of travel. The spring is very light force and does not really change any between 0 and .250". I'm only putting about .030-.040 of an inch down pressure on it. So I don't think that is the problem.

steve4460
01-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Could you post a picture of that tool , or a video of it in action?.

Call-Tech
01-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Here are links to other posts on this product.

The first one here has links to Video of larger version. Its the closest video I have come across.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/315/37979.html?1232635041

Here is a link to another post with photos of work.
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/312/30430.html

Here is a link to the tool itself.
http://www.2linc.com/engraving_mini.htm