PDA

View Full Version : Mounting to Brick

mjindustry
07-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi,

My wife is making a sign for a mattress store. The sign will be an 8ft tree with some lettering.

We were going to mount hdu to pvc but pvc is hard to come by around us. So we had to go with hdu to mdo. How should this be mounted to a brick wall? Any kind of stand off system out there?

joewino
07-21-2009, 05:23 PM
We just drilll holes in the back of the MDO and epoxy threaded rod into the holes. A pattern is made of the stud pattern - placed on the wall and holes are drilled into the brick with a hammer drill and masonry bit. Blow out the dust, fill the hole with silicone sealer, and push the sign in place. You can stand off the sign by placing segments of copper tubing or PVC pipe over the threaded studs.

You can also use a French Cleat - either store bought or home made.

ghostcreek
07-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Great tip. Is there a solvent for the silicon sealer in case it needs to be removed? I ask because I am getting more repair/refinish jobs then anything else. Would the French cleat be unwise in a semiscally active area (like my home of California?) Unless I am wrong the french cleat is using sign weight and gravity to keep it in place? I love to learn, Thanks.

joewino
07-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Not much will remove silicone sealer - that's why it is a good adhesive. We normally just scrape off as much as possible and then use acetone or lacquer thinner to remove the residue.

In case of an earthquake, a sign is going to be the least of my worries. You can always use some kind of adhesive with the cleat or run a screw through both sections of the cleat from the front.

donchapman
07-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Since the brick wall will almost certainly outlive the sign, drill the sign mounting holes into the brick mortar joints, not the brick itself, because it is easy to patch mortar joints but hard to patch brick so that the repair looks good. Also it is usually easier to drill the mortar joints than the brick.

mjindustry
07-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the help everybody!

Does anyone have an online source for French Cleats?

joewino
07-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Just Google and you will get a bunch of sources.

mjindustry
07-23-2009, 02:15 PM
So far I have only found these...however, they look decent.

http://www.hooksandlattice.com/cleat-hangers.html

joewino
07-23-2009, 07:37 PM
I have some of those - they work.

Home Depot also carries them, but it seems hard for them to keep any in stock.