PDA

View Full Version : Paint Masking or other option/trick

harryball
11-21-2006, 09:53 AM
I've been trying to create a simple and quick "Do Not Disturb the Bats" sign. I created the sign in VCPro and here's what I've got.

Painting it quickly to look decent is another story. I used MDF painted black and that part did OK. I tried a couple of masking options including some of that kraft stuff and none end up with clean edges nor qualify as "quick".

I found some black MDO and might eventually get black MDF but I still have the masking/painting the vCarve area.

The ultimate solution would be something with a black face and white core. I'd only need paint the edges and seal the entire sign.

Is there, per chance, a material with black facing and a white core?

Ideas, tips, tricks?

Robert

lto
11-21-2006, 10:03 AM
ColorCore:
http://www.harborsales.net/fullsheetlookup.cfm?categoryID=6&subcategoryID=11& cat=Routing%20Carving%20%2D%2D%20Sandblasting#prod uctview

ryan_slaback
11-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Robert, If you want you could always just make your own. Paint a standard piece of MDF black and you will have a brown color. Otherwise one of the things I have also done is to carve extra deep, paint everything then plane off the paint on the main surface. I also have successfully used a shelf paper when I engrave school bleachers. You just need to get a good seal on the material and a sharp bit. I don't know how well that will work on MDF though due to its porosity.

myxpykalix
11-21-2006, 11:10 PM
How bout something like this?

harryball
11-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Jack,

Is that just the raw MDF showing through? I thought about doing something like that, but how do you seal it and make it look good and not like raw MDF with a clear coat?

I'm pondering the planner approach, but sending MDF through a planner doesn't quite work out since it would remove the black painted top surface.

I'm testing a few more masking options this morning. I can't get the kraft paper to leave a clean edge (using a paint brush) someone mentioned air brushing might work better. Anyone airbrush with success?

BTW Jack, I see you reme bered the "m" this time. :-)

Robert

hines
11-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Robert, this thread has some info too. Didn't know if you saw it. It's about the 15th thread under "Sign Making".

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/315/14455.html?1160507020