PDA

View Full Version : Help with pricing

kevin_r
12-29-2002, 10:45 AM
Hi all!
I have an apartment complex that wants me to make some 16"x16" parking lot signs. I have never done signs before. Is there an industry standard for pricing wood signs like there is for vinyl lettering? (I understand that there is a book for pricing vinyl). Any help will be appreciated as I to make a quote by 1-3-2003 (its 2003 already!!)Thanks.

Kevin Reid

bjwat@comcast.net
12-29-2002, 12:36 PM
Kevin,
If it is just a 2D or V-bit sign, there's less machining time than if it was a 3D carved sign. I would make one sign and see how it turns out, see what consumables you would go through and keep track of what it cost you to do the one sign. Generally, regardless of what I am doing, I tend to stay with this formula: Total Price = 1/3 labor + 1/3 material cost + 1/3 profit. Your electricity and consumables are factored into the materials portion. So determine what that is and how much you need for your time and add in the profit....don't be stingy with yourself

For 3D work, that's a little tougher since you'll need the software for the tool paths if you don't have it. A general rule for pricing 3D would be in the $.60 to $1.20 a square inch range depending on total square. It's hard to price since it varies from job to job...so you'll need to set the price and extend that to the customer.

Complete one sign in it's entirety and work backwards to calculate actual cost. I know that there are industry standards for sinage pricing...but don't remember where they are online. I worked for 2 large sign companies on the East Coast about 8 years ago.

Hope that helps.
-Brady

rgbrown@itexas.net
12-29-2002, 03:36 PM
Kevin,

I found this quote in another thread on the forum "My 2002 official signwriters price guide states that the national average."

So, there is a guide. Like many other guides, it is just an educated guess. Prices vary with area and competition.

Ron

OH, from the other thread: "signwriters publishing co 406-252-2214"

gittel
12-29-2002, 03:41 PM
Here is the web site for the sign writers price guides. They are $7.95 each.

http://www.signwritersusa.com/index1.html

kevin_r
12-31-2002, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all of the help.
I now have a good idea of how I need to price this job.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Kevin Reid