PDA

View Full Version : "Buddy" for Sign Shop Use

sebago_signworks
09-13-2008, 08:56 PM
I am thinking of purchasing a "Buddy" for my small sign shop for v-carving, contour cutting, etc. Are there any other users that use the buddy in their shop's? Thank you in advance.

kerrazy
09-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Unfortunately Devin,
They come in a semi, with a square steering wheel. weird eh?
not sure about the Buddy for you but I run a PRT 48X96, which is only the price of one of your wraps, and a service contract on a Gerber solara??? SO step up Big boy!!!!
Dale (cadlink)
BTW all others please ingnore, my foolihness (inside joke with Devin and I)

sebago_signworks
09-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Dale,

Oddly enoughy I am test driving such a truck! Whats up buddy? Are you going to USSC or the Edgehead meet? What is a PRT?

kerrazy
09-16-2008, 05:40 PM
PRT is old school 4ft X 8ft machine. Get the PRS, if you can afford the foot print of space, you will not regret it guy!
D

joewino
09-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Like Dale, I would suggest the PRS - 4' x 8'. Over two years ago we bought the PRTalpha and have never regretted it. The more you use it the more uses you find for it.

The PRTalpha was the "latest and greatest" at that time. It has made us money for the past two years and will make even more in the future, especially since the thing is almost paid for.

sebago_signworks
09-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Whats the difference bewteen a PRS / PRT. I am loking at a PRS STD. Will this do the job for a smaller sign shop? Ray, by the way I was at your seminar at the USSC, you were great. Thanks for posting. Dale, your an okay guy too, A.

kerrazy
09-18-2008, 01:22 PM
that would be a great unit for you. The PRS is the latest generation, fundamental differences are the Gantry Structure and X rails ( they are upgraded to Extruded Aluminum channels (in my opinion much more structurally sound which increases rigidity, thus better cut quality). I believe it is using the 4G controller, which means faster cutting time and improved cutting quality over the PRT I run.
I would however recommend you include a spindle when you purchase your tool, rather then a Porter Cable Router, again lends itslef to better cut quality and tool life.
And Devin, don;t kid yourself most know me here, and know you are lying when you say I am an ok guy. They all know I am an A$$

sebago_signworks
09-20-2008, 09:45 AM
I just got a PRS w/ a spindle (48" x 96"). Thanks for the advice!

joewino
09-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Congratulations! Now the fun begins. You won't regret the purchase.

sebago_signworks
09-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Raymond,

Thanks, will you be hosting a seminar this year @ USSC? Whats your software prefrence for the router?

joewino
09-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Devin - nope, not this time...they didn't invite me for this year. I think Tramp Warner is doing the design seminar and there isn't a dimensional sign class.

I use ArtCam Pro 2008. Does just about anything you can think up.