PDA

View Full Version : Question cutting Diebond

nailzscott
10-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I have a request to cut some simple shapes out of Diebond. I have a PRS with a porter cable router. I do not have my vacuum system setup yet so I would need to clamp the 4x8 sheet down and cut as many of the parts as I can get from the sheet. The parts will be roughly 6x12 and 9x18 by about 1/8 thick. Will a router with a downcut bit with a single pass manage these cuts? I assumed a downcut to keep the material from lifting. If it can be done, what kind of speeds should be used on this stuff.

joewino
10-03-2008, 05:42 PM
We use double stick carpet tape to hold down DiBond. In addition we put screws on the corners of the panel for added security.

On the thinner material we cut everything in one pass but use two passes for the thicker material.

Speed is about 120" per minute (.25" bit), but it could probably be done faster...I'm just in no hurry.

matt_r
10-03-2008, 06:24 PM
I just cut some dibond two days ago. It was 1/4" stuff. I have opted for Onsrud single flute o-spiral bits (sorry- I'm not sure of the exact part number- I can check later). It is an upspiral, but they give the best finish on dibond I've experienced yet. The double stick tape is a good idea. Most of dibond I cut is for larger signs i.e. 24x36. Typically, I screw down the corners, and the part stays put pretty well. I'm doing about 16,000 rpm, and about 100 ipm, cutting it in a single pass. I also have a jet nozzle of compressed air shooting on the bit as it cuts - just to keep things cool and remove shavings.

Good luck.

-Matt

nailzscott
10-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have a straight flute bit, but it is carbide. Do you think that would work? The customer gave me a small sample piece, so I guess I could just give it a try.

jerry_stanek
10-03-2008, 09:33 PM
I found cutting diebond That you don't want to use an upcut or down cut just a straight cutter Look in the onsurd book that we got from the camp and use the one that Jennifer talked about for aluminum.

nailzscott
10-04-2008, 04:12 PM
You guys were right. I used a straight flute carbide bit and it worked fine. Thanks for the help.