PDA

View Full Version : .3ds files for personal use

syeven_ree
02-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Any-one needing .3ds files for personal use?
I have hundreds of files from planes to animals if you wish to 3d carve these for signs etc.
These can be opened in rhino, auto-cad but lately I've been using cut 3d by vectric and the results are no less than stunning!
Steve

syeven_ree
02-04-2007, 11:47 AM
P.S. For all you sign guys out there I have to say that I am only beggining to play with sign making and after purchasing the vectric software, www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com) I am having more fun than I ever thought I could have. Cheers to vectric for making such an intuitive user friendly bunch of software! Worth every penny spent!
P.S. I bought cut3d to probe a 10ft. kayak hull with S.B. make changes in auto-cad and use cut3d to slice and generate all the toolpaths to shopbot.Too easy!And I really dont know what I'm doing with cnc but this worked perfect and saved me thousands.
Steve

luke
02-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Very cool. Can you post a pic of the probed kayak file.

syeven_ree
02-04-2007, 12:27 PM

syeven_ree
02-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I probed this with the sb probe and a 12 inch nitting needle!.5 X .5 res. took about 4 hours.

Brady Watson
02-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Yes. I too would like to see a picutre of your scanned kayak in the AutoCAD screen. That would be cool. (you beat me to it by 1 min!)

Before the feeding frenzy starts on 'free 3DS files', I would be really careful about distributing files that you did not create. 'Personal use' holds no water when the legal action comes to town...not to sound all doom & gloom, but many 'free' 3D files are protected by copyright. It's probably best to post links where people can download the files themselves, provided that they are not already on the CNC Resource List (http://www.shopbottools.com/resourcelist.htm)

-B

myxpykalix
02-04-2007, 12:34 PM
STEVEN !!
I downloaded a file you posted "Dolphins.3ds" it downloads as a .unk file. Now it won't allow me to delete it from my computer! Please explain why your files cannot be deleted?? I would hope you aren't posting any viruses or funny files but I can't figure out why they can't be deleted!

syeven_ree
02-04-2007, 12:38 PM
No viruses......highlight the file right click and rename and change it to .3ds just did it and it works fine, deletes with no problem. Let me know.

myxpykalix
02-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I did that it saved as a .3ds.unk file but wouldn't let me delete it. I had to completely reboot then it let me delete. Sorry if i "rang the alarm bells" but i just lost EVERYTHING on my other computer due to some JERK sending me a email embedded with something undetected by my virus scanning software and it ruined my harddrive and made it unrecoverable. So naturally i'm a little nerveous. Sorry, Steven!

syeven_ree
02-04-2007, 12:54 PM
I dont blame you at all!!!!!!! I did notice that you left the .unk extension on the file? It should have said dolphins.3ds only. i hope this helps.
Steve

syeven_ree
02-04-2007, 12:56 PM
p.s. when I uplaoded the file the file extension got changed by the forum file upload....don't know why it did this maybe some-one can explain.

Forum Admin
02-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Self protection. Only a few extensions such as .txt and .zip are allowed to post. If the extension isn't recognized, then the .unk extension is added to prevent any chance that something could be uploaded that would run on the server itself. This is an open forum - posts are not approved before appearing. As always, use at your own risk.