PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate lines

cnc_works
10-24-2007, 10:14 PM
Does anyone know of a program that will detect lines and points lying under other lines and points and either weld them together or delete them?

Any tricks? I just scanned in an ink sketch and the trace has left me with so many artifacts that the cut time is going to be through the roof. And I would hand edit them, but even seeing where they are is problematic.

Donn

myxpykalix
10-24-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't have the specific answer for you but i have seen dxf files where the different lines were colored differently. Thst leads me to think that one of those better cad programs can assign colors to different layers? If thats true than it would seem you should be able to assign a color then delete all on that layer? Just a guess.

seana
10-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Donn,
V-Carve Pro does.
can select all duplicate vectors and delete
It will also let you know how many open vectors you have.
It also lets you select all vectors on just the layers selected.
I think it is a great program. Download the trial and give it a run.

Sean

joe
10-25-2007, 03:34 AM
Don,

You may be able to control some of the problem with the scan. By playing around with the scan options and details, you can eleminate a considerable amount of haze.

Then with any graphics program you can vary the contrast which will clean up the field even better. Now you are ready for the trace. That will also have controlls as to the amount of edge and corner shapness, along with the amount of detail.

Finally, after the trace is complete, you will need clean up tools to cut and delete unwanted lines and objects. Most graphics programs offer these options.

A good, not too expesive, program is Corel Draw X3.

Perhaps I could help with your file. Send it on in.

kfitz
10-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Rhino can do this as well. They have a free 25 save download. rhino3d.com

cnc_works
10-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Well, thanks guys for the input. Gotta say...been there, done that. However, sometimes no matter what you do there are enough remaining to be a PITA.

Just finished a scan of a pen and ink drawing enlarged to 35" X 55" for engraving in the same style. Traced in Corel 13, worked the lines in Rhino manually and using make 2D drawing. A lot of small lines still eluded me.

The other thing that happens occasionally is when I import an ai file into ArtCAM. I find that every line has a dupe right under it.

I was just hoping to hear something new.

Donn

joe
10-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Frank,

Do you think the problem is caused by the scanner?

Has the AI file you mentioned been scanned?

I guess you know where I'm going with this. Could it be a double image caused by scanner light coming throug your original.

Just a thought.

cnc_works
10-26-2007, 12:23 PM
It was Donn, Joe.

Interesting analysis, I would never have thought of that. But scanning does not seem to be a common denominator when I have that problem. I'm thinking that it may be some combination of bringing it through various programs in processing to get what I want, I just haven't penned down the malicious combo.

And, of course, if I can get someone else to do my homework...

Donn