PDA

View Full Version : Cutting card stock with Vinyl cutters

jf_allie
07-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Hello Everyone,
This is not related to Shopbot per say, but I'm looking for information on entry level Vinyl cutters that can cut card stock, or other material thicker then vinyl. I saw the Roland Stika, but it doesn't seem to be able to cut card stock. The Roland Camm-1 seems to be. In fack it doesn't have to be a vinyl cutter, it could also be a digital die cutter, laser cutter, etc. Price will be a big factor, but I would like to know more about what's available.

Any info about your personal experience, different brands/models, website, forums will be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
J-F

simon
07-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Jean-francoise

The problem you are going to have with a vinyl cutter cutting anything other than vinyl is that the machine relies on the dimensionally stable silicone release paper, which is laminated to the vinyl when it arrives in a roll, to hold all the bits in position once you have cut them. ie the knife blade only cuts as deep as the vinyl, leaving the paper uncut. If you put card in there, as soon as you have cut part of a shape, it will lose its stability as the material moves back and forth under the pinch rollers, and flop, crease, and jam the machine. You need something with a flat bed.

Simon

paul_n
07-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Jean....

The "Vinyl Mate" ( http://www.littleeholdings.com/ ) might be your answer. I've not used it myself.

Paul

jhicks
07-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Very interesting site and potential option. Does anyone have or use this equipment on a bot?

davidallen
07-19-2005, 06:27 PM
J-F

How thick is your card stock? I've cut what was labeled card stock from an office supply store with a laser engraver.

check with a local trophy shop to see if they'll do a test for you .

da

jf_allie
07-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Simon,
Maybe only simple cut paterns can be cut. Like paterns of boxes, etc. For mor complex maybe one could use temporary spay adhesive to mount the card stock on some backing.

Jerry,
Two guys spoke about the Vinyl Mate last fall at Bill Palumbo's Shopbot Camp. Maybe Bill remembers who they where.

David,
I don't know the thickness in inches. In the paper world it's usually expressed in pounds. Also, I know a flatbed laser would be a more versatile tool.

Speaking of which, does anybody remember seeing an advertisement recently for a $7000 laser cutter. (It might have been in a recent Wired magazine)

For everyone,
Have a look at this one. If I could find a price somewhere, it might just be what I need.
http://www.graphteccorp.com/craftrobo/

jhicks
07-21-2005, 08:35 AM
I contacted vinyl mate and they say they have "sold several to Shop botters" but when I request a specific referal to someone who has been using it, I get no reply? Is there anyone who has this adaptation and is using it successfully on a bot out there?
Any feedback is appreciated.

oddcoach
07-21-2005, 06:23 PM
hi guys
i have a vinyl mate and its the cats pajamas.
very easy to setup. it uses a system of weights for cutting pressure. so the surface youre cutting on doesnt have to be perfect. when cutting vinyl i just lay a piece of mdf ontop of the spoilboard and tape the vinyl to it. it should cut paper and cardstock just as easy. i would get some extra blades ( it uses stock blades from a vinyl cutter)
since paper tends to dull knives quickly

happy cutting
john

oddcoach
07-21-2005, 06:26 PM
one other thought if you are cutting out a very detailed part i would put use tabbing. i used to work in diecutting and we put nicks in the dierule so the sheet stays together as it goes thru the press
john

davidallen
07-21-2005, 10:13 PM
J-F

The cardstock I used is 110 lb.

I saw a small laser engraver for around that price a couple of years ago at a home business show. From my admitedly faulty memory, it had an 10X14 work area and was made by Universal Laser Systems (the same as mine).

da

jf_allie
07-22-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks David that's the one I was looking for.