PDA

View Full Version : Center of zero's & eights

charles48
03-11-2004, 11:40 AM
I am making a sign that I am cutting through the material. My problem is holding the centers of the zero's, eight's, e's, etc. What is used to do this?

gerald_d
03-11-2004, 11:47 AM
The jigsaw guys have to cut right through - we don't. We can paint/fill the letters.

But if you insist on going right through, then a backing board with screws/nails/glue.

Somehow I think that I have missed the question, because the answer just seems too obvious??

charles48
03-11-2004, 11:57 AM
I want the background of the sign leters to match the surroundings of the color sign. What kind of paint would stick to vinyl or what would you fill the letter with?

kerrazy
03-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Are you suggesting you are going to put the letters on a background panel?

We need more clarification here.
More than glad to help though.
Dale

charles48
03-11-2004, 02:41 PM
I have white vinyl stock that is 5/16x5-7/8 I want to cut letters or numbers through it, hang it up say on the side of a house, and let the color of the siding show through the letters or numbers. I was wondering if there is a font or program to make letters such as a zero appear something like this (). This would save having to make backing for it. If it is better to just cut through part way what would be used to accent the letters? I have heard that paint will not stick to vinyl.

kerrazy
03-11-2004, 03:10 PM
What if you attached all the cut pieces to a clear acrylic or lexan backer with silicone then you would still have the original house colour show through? You could do a female pass on the lexan to give you a guide for letter placement.
Dale

Scott Smith (Unregistered Guest)
03-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Charles,
Are you thinking of something like the "Stencil" font? You can do that in PartWizard and profile the inside of each letter.
Scott

charles48
03-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Yes, I think so, I am not sure how to do it. I will open partwizard and try. Thanks.

dave_draper
03-26-2004, 08:03 AM
Charles,

You heard that paint will not stick to vinyl.

That's not exactly true. The right paint will stick to vinyl. Or Anything!

100% acrylic latex, flat or glossy sticks to vinyl. Most things need to be primered first.
Kills 2 stain blocker is available most everywhere. Some things need the mold release agent removed first ( molded plastics for instance )

Working to acheive a smooth professional finish with latex requires HPLV (high pressure low velocity) spray equipment, like professional, industrial painters have. (About $800)