PDA

View Full Version : Software needed for making signs

rc_woodworks
12-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Try this again I need training on how to use the forum!!! I will get to the point! I own a sign shop and I am looking for software that is user friendly to make a sign.

Until adding my SB 4896 standard and 3 other CNC units I have hand routed my signs. I have a portable shop and I travel to fairs and make the signs at the advents. Of course my SB is too big and unfortunately they don't make a unit small enough to fit in my portable shop.

So I am one of those fools who bought a Sears Compucarve, matter of fact I bought 2! I had high hopes for this toy I mean CNC! When it worked it had wonderful results. Another down fall besides breaking down was it is too slow! But a high point is the software. It is so user friendly. I have since bought and I am waiting to get another compact CNC from IM Service. Plus due to shorted T-nuts and poor timing, my Grandma passing away and recently have back surgery I have not completely set up my SB. So it has been an expensive bench! Soon I hope to be able set up my SB when I recover from my surgery.

Back to the software, I am looking for something similar to the CC designer. I want to be able to input the sign size ie. 12" X 24" choose the font style and if it is a raised or recessed letter. Then add a Vector Art 3D pattern. Set the board, start the machine and it makes the sign!

I already have V Carve Pro and Photo Carve and of course the SB software. And with my new compact CNC it comes with Desk CNC and I think Vector XT.

I am looking at Bobcam and tomorrow will be viewing a tutorial how it works then they will try to sell it to me at a discounted price. Also from the SB site I read about Sign Lab so I downloaded the demo.

I need expert help!!!!! Or just help!!!!

Rick

signtist
12-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Rick, Most of the software for sign making is rather expensive. I tell most people to get an older version of CorelDraw because it's cheap. It can do everything you need and much more. Design it in Corel, then simply export to V-Carve pro.
I own a full comercial signshop too.

rc_woodworks
12-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Hmm, thanks John I do have Corel Draw X3. I haven't figured it out yet. I know software is expensive, but I am looking for an application I can design a sign in one program. That is what I liked about the carvewright designer.

As I mentioned I am not up and running yet so maybe there isn't software like that. Do you know anything about Bobcam software? Tomorrow I have a demo scheduled and I was told the Bobcam is discounted due to the holidays. The price is $995.00 and it includes training and Bob artcam. Now the salesman told me sold separtly it would be 3-4 thousands dollars.

I don't want to spend that kind of money but I don't mind $1000.00 if it does what I want it do do!

Rick

joewino
12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Corel Draw is a good all around program and not nearly as expensive as some of the dedicated sign design software.

And I also have a sign shop that owns me.

jben007
12-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Hey Rick,I'm lurking over here in the Shopbot forum these days.Your saying the same thing I have been saying since looking at all my software,Very powerful ,but also Complicated compared to the cw designer,The only thing I've seen that looks as easy is the Vectric Line of software.Did you buy V-carve ?
Ben
from Cw forum

rc_woodworks
12-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Lol yes I agree the sign shop owns me too!!! Since my back surgery I haven't been able to do much! My shop is a mess since my fair season, so it needs insulation and cleaned!

As forth to Corel, I paid quite a bit for it. Didn't you read I am not too bright!! I did buy 2 CC! The Corel Draw X3 cost me around $600.00 maybe more?

It seems I need to learn Corel I have it I should know how to use it!

Maybe I should have stuck with hand routing my signs!!! www.rcwoodworksonline.com (http://www.rcwoodworksonline.com)

Rick

rc_woodworks
12-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Hey Ben!!!! How are you!!! Yes I have V carve Pro and Photo carve. I bought both at the ShopBot Jamboree from James Booth along with the Vector Art 3D animal starter kit.

I was hoping someone has used Bobcam. I will know more about it tomorrow. If it looks easy to use without a bridge program then I will be adding it to my software collection!

Say if you still have my e-mail I will tell you how LHR really messed me over. I since bought a new compact CNC from www.cadcamcadcam.com (http://www.cadcamcadcam.com). So I need the same software for it.

Rick

ernie_balch
12-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Don't waste your time with BobCAD it is complete junk for sign making.

Between Vectric software and Corel you have the best easiest to use software available. Use the Corel X3 tutorial and watch the Vectric tutorials.

You have to spend time designing signs in Corel. It will take a week or two to be comfortable with the software.

Don't keep throwing money at new software there is no magic package.

ernie

rc_woodworks
12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Thank you Ernie, sounds like I have all I need already! I must be brighter then I thought!!! Bummer I still have an appointment to view the demo. I am going to view it.

Now I trust you, but they came out with a new product for sign making. That's what I was told this morning!

Again thank you to everybody !

Rick

jben007
12-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Rick, What happened with LHR ?
I would tend to agree with Ernie,I've looked at most of the software out there and there is nothing as simple and easy as designer,I just had to buckle down and learn new software.
Ben

rc_woodworks
12-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Ben, go to my site and e-mail me and I will tell you the whole story! I don't think it would be appropiate to talk about it in here. Just click on Rick Tuttle you will find my e-mail

Thanks again I will start focusing on learning Corel and V carve pro. John I love your signs and I look forward to using a real CNC and make signs like yours!!!

Rick

bill1
12-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Rick,
When you find out what the new product for sign making is let us know.
Bill.

john_l
12-03-2007, 08:13 PM
I use FlexiSIGN and output an .eps over to VcarvePro for toolpaths.

If you have Vcarve, I say you already have all you need for carved signs, pockets, and profile cuts. Spend some time with it and you will be an expert in little time.

I only use FlexiSIGN cause that is what I learned years ago with an original version of that software. Vcarve does much of the same thing.

rc_woodworks
12-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I really apreciate this group!!! I will let you all know about Bobcam, but I think it won't do what I want it to do. I not looking for something to replace Corel!

Say isn't possible to design the whole project on V carve? Well I can input fonts,but I can't seem to input or import patterns from Vector Art 3D

I need to check to with my Uncle who taugh me the business what software he uses. The man can hand rout signs that you would swear they were made with a CNC! But he hardlys hand routs signs and uses his machines. He not a dummy, but I worked for him I am sure his software is easy to use!

I will find out tomorrow 10 am my time and I will share what I learn. The thing that caught my attention was they include detailed training disc that until recently only offered to schools.

I can't wait until I get my SB working I know I will need help! I know this is the place to get answers!

Rick

joe
12-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Rick,

V Carve is an extremely good product but it's not a design program. Corel is probably the most reasonably priced and very powerful.

BobCad is a joke. Don't fall for their high pressure sales.

rc_woodworks
12-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Wow lol well V carve 6 Bobcam 0!! Just curious I was lead to believe this was a new version for sign making. Joe are you talking about old versions or does it include what I thought was new?

I have been spoiled with the Carvewright designer software. You design your project and it sooo user friendly then goes to a flash card to the machine.

I never ordered the probe for the CW but from what I gathered it comes with it's own software. That allows you edit patterns from Vector Art 3D. Well it did until they upgraded the designer software! They are cracking down on others editing licensed patterns and sharing or selling them.

I just wonder if it edits patterns, why can't you design a sign and save it in a format that you can use V carve? I need to ask someone with a probe and the software!

Rick

rc_woodworks
12-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Well I just received an e-mail and I didn't realize what a touchy subject Bobcam was. I didn't say I was buying Bobcam tomorrow. I was just viewing a demo, now after all the above help I really doubt I will even view the demo.

I didn't think about using the search in the forum since this was my first post. But I did check past post on Bob cam and found no in betweens. I read post the user loved it and don't waste your money.

As I said I am about ready to start using my SB and while I am recovering from my back surgery learn how to use the thing!

So thanks again I get it Bobcam sucks!!

Rick

ernie_balch
12-03-2007, 10:30 PM
I started out with Scanvec Casmate in 1994 when I built my first router.

I also bought Corel 6, 8, 12 and x3.

I have BobCad 19 and all the training disks. Which came with my 3rd router (Practical CNC). It was so bad they offered me a free upgrade to 20 and a free day of local training which I turned down.

I also have Inventor, AutoCAD, Illustrator, Canvas, Photoshop and a few more.

I bought Vcarve pro and Carve3D and Artcam Insignia/E last year. They were great, easy to use and bugfree.

Recently I got a new shopbot which came with the same exact software (Partworks series). I guess I should have waited.

What I'm trying to say is I have spent lots of money on software packages and lots of time learning them but most of them never get used.

I can do every thing with corel plus the vectric tools that come with the new shopbots.

ernie

PS. For 3D I use Rhino and Clay tools.

rc_woodworks
12-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks Ernie that is what I am trying to avoid too. I paid $600.00 for my Corel Draw X3 and shoot I got a good deal on the V carve and Photo carve at the Shopbot Jamboree. Plus wasting money on the Compucarves. Then buying another compact CNC I have spent more money. Not to mention the cost of the SB!!

So I am not eager to spend more money especially on something I don't need.

So thanks again all you have helped I am sticking with V carve and Corel

Rick

jamesb
12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Rick, it is possible to bring Vector Art 3D files into VCarve Pro and therfore to see your whole 2D and 3D project in preview. It is a 2 stage process but is pretty easy once you have tried it a couple of times. Here is the rough process:

1 Lay out your design in VCarve Pro. You can download eps outlines of all our 3D models for free in order to place where the 3D models will be in the 2D layout. Go to the site http://www.vectorart3d.com look at any individual model and under it you will see a button that says "Free EPS Outline" - click on this to download it to your PC. You could also use this in Corel for the layout too.

2 Once you have the layout in 2D you will know the size that you want the 3D model to be. Assuming the customer is happy with the design you can buy the model from us in V3M format.

3 Use the VA3D Machinist software (or Cut3D or PartWorks3D) to load the V3M file and set the size to match your 2D layout and an appropriate depth and Z-position in the material.

4 Create the 3D toolpaths and preview them to check the quality and settings.

5 Now instead of saving the toolpaths as output for the machine you save the V3M file instead. To do this go up to "File" and then "Save As". I normally at a TP to the file name to indicate it has a toolpath in it.

6 Go back to VCarve Pro and use the Vector Import button. Choose the V3M file you just saves (with the toolpaths in it). You will now get a greyscale preview of the 3D file and the toolpath/s will be in the toolpath list.

You can create your other 2D/2.5D toolpaths in VCarve Pro now and preview them and the 3D toolpaths together to check all looks OK and to send the customer a finished preview if you want. From there you can output them to your CNC.

This also works the same with PartWorks3D and Partworks. I genuinely believe you have all the software you need to do what the CW Designer program does and probably a little more. I would start by spending as much time as you can with VCarve Pro and the tutorial videos and go from there.

Hope this helps, I am aiming to get some videos done to show this process in more detail soon. Anyone who gets the SB Get Carving Quickly Package: http://www.shopbottools.com/software_v1.htm#Get_Carving will be able to see videos and sample parts you can carve to see how this process works.

If this explanation creates more questions just let me know?

Thanks,
James

rc_woodworks
12-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks James, I just need to re-train myself. I viewed the Bobcam demo and the first guy really didn't listen to me. Instead he showed me what the software can do. I did like what I saw, but he ran out of time and they handed me off to someone else. This guy is a manager and he through what I wanted to see.

I explained to him I had Corel Draw X3 and V Carve pro. He asked well why do you want Bobcam? I explained I am just getting started so I didn't know what I wanted!

I downloaded the Bobcam demo and then was contacted by the salesman. Anyway the manager talked me out of buying the software!! After last night I wasn't going to buy it, but I did go in viewing the demo with an open mind!

If I didn't already have the software I already own I might have bought Bobcam V22!

Thanks again I now need to learn!

Rick

joe
12-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Saved by the Bell!

ernie_balch
12-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Rick,
The way to learn is to take pencil and paper and design a simple sign. Then create that design in the computer. When you get stuck and can't figure out how to do something and can't find it in the help file, search the vectric forum. If you still get stuck post a specific question. You will be up to speed in no time.

Once you are moving along and feel good about your ability go each icon and menu item and make sure you understand what it does.

ernie

joe
12-04-2007, 09:41 PM
I was wondering how you came up with all those good signs.

ernie_balch
12-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Not me ...I'm the worlds worst designer. I always copy your prize winning designs ;)

joewino
12-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Quit that Ernie...that's what I do.

cabnet636
12-05-2007, 09:39 AM
like you i bought carvewright and still have the machine and while i have a large old school cabinet shop, i did not need the cw for business.
i mace the signs for my shop and farm and what it did was teach me cnc and how i could now after twenty five years automate some of my functions.
the machine is a toy yet there are a lot of granpa's cranking out a lot of fun. i have destroyed the chuck and board sensor and bought extras on any part machine will now probably collect dust as i have purchaseda 4x8 vaccum and 5 hp spindle. so i like you want lhr to sell me the software. i also am hunting for the same software you are i am going to call lhr and see if they will rename it an charge for it.
cabnet

rc_woodworks
12-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Ernie I have no trouble designing a sign. I have been making hand routed signs for 27 years. Due to back problems I have bought the SB and 2 CC and now a compact CNC from Fred Smith of I M Service.

I normally design my signs in my head and I will draw them out for my customer so we are on the same page.If you check out my website most of the signs you see have been hand carved. The CNC made ones were made with my CC. But I appreciate the thought!

What I was looking for was a software like the Carvewright designer. I could show the customer how the sign would look before carving it. I realize I can still do this with V Carve pro.

The thing I like the most was with the CC designer you can design and execute the cutting with the same program. With Bobcam V22 you can also basically do the same thing with far more functions the the CC offers.

I was impressed with the Bobcam V22 demo and would have bought it if it wasn't what the manager asked me. The first rep needed to show another demo so a manager took over. I told him what I was looking for and I own V carve pro and Corel draw X3. He asked me, then why do want Bobcam if you already have Corel and V carve.

I am sure he wasn't trying to talk me out of Bobcam, but he did! I thought to myself, why do I want Bobcam? I have not even given Corel and V carve a chance.

Funny thing is the manager e-mailed me today to clear the air as he said! I told the salesman yesterday the manager change my mind. So I guess the salesman blames the manager for the lost!

Really it was do I need to spend more money without trying the software I have?

James I wouldn't hold my breath LHR will make software for other CNC, but if they did like their designer I would buy it. Well if the price is right!

Rick

rc_woodworks
12-06-2007, 02:03 AM
Ok guys I am in a panic now!!! I installed Corel draw X3 and I can't make heads or tail of it. It looks like Photo shop and I can see how to input fonts but they are in points not inches.

I went over V Carve and I can see it is fairly straight forward to import a design. But I am not sure how long it going to take to learn Corel?

I am seriously thinking about buying Bobcam V22. It comes with a set of tutorials and since I am at a lost now I won't know the difference.

HELP!!!!!!

Rick

jamesb
12-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Rick, I can't tell you what to do about learning Corel although I would think there are tutorials available for purchase on the web? What I would probably suggest is to just start trying to lay things out in VCarve Pro. With the latest version 4.5 there are most of the tools you will need to lay out text, basic shapes, weld vectors etc. Looking at the layouts you did with the CW software I would think that this would do most, if not all the work you want to do. Its just a case of spending some time working with it and making mistakes. At least with the preview you can do this without wasting any material or machine time... Then later on if you felt you wanted the additional tools that Corel might give you for design you at least would have a base for using the vector tools. There are many tutorials for VCarve Pro which should help you to learn it. As someone else said though there is no substitute to just practicing. What might work well is to pick something you have done before and try to replicate it. If you have problems then post questions here or on the Vectric forum http://www.vectric.com/forum

Thanks, James

cnc_works
12-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Rick, you have to get over the idea that there is a magic pill in the way of software. I suspect that you are leaning to Bobcad despite the many warnings because the salesman made it look easy. Please, let me tell you that despite the demonstration and despite the tutorials, you will be wrestling with Bobcad just as much as any software, if not more, to get results.

Have confidence that if you begin investing time in whichever program you choose, it will get clearer amd easier as you go along. For example, in the Corel setup you can change how Corel deals in measurements from pixels to inches. Go to tools, options, workspace, text. Corel is an excellent program with many built in tutorials and many free and paid tutorials available on the web. Since you have it, use it.

As you experienced with Carveright, the easier a program is to use, the more limited it is. Corel is a tool that will not limit your imagination but you will have to invest some head scratching to get started. Spend some time with it and you will soon see that you can do elementary stuff with it pretty fast and be able to do anything you want with it in the long run.

Just remember, if you are going to grow in CNC, you will have to pay your dues...no magic pills. Start playing with Corel, do your homework, then ask for help and clarifications here.

With the best intentions.
Donn

myxpykalix
12-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Rick,
Go to www.youtube.com (http://www.youtube.com) and search for "corel draw" and i just saw 10 pages of tutorials. I didn't watch any, so i don't know what you want to learn but that seems to be a great free resource.

rc_woodworks
12-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Donn, I am not looking for a magic pill. Nor am I going to buy Bobcam. Really a bad example saying I was fooled by the salesman who knew what he was doing! It would be the same if you showed me how to use Corel. I am at a lost so it would look magical for a person like you who knows CD.

Everyone is talking about Bobcam V19 and V21, has anyone ever seen or used V22? Again please don't take me wrong I appreciate what you have told me. But I am not looking to design parts in 3D mode. I know with CD and VC I can. But it can be done in Bobcam too in one application.

As you pointed out I am naive when it comes to software and I need to get my mind off the CC designer. I thought if LHR could design this type of software then there must be something similar to it?

Believe me I have paid my dues with the CC. If it worked out I would have never bought my Shopbot or my other compact CNC!

As I said, Donn I am being honest without trying to be rude to you. I appreciate your input and everyone else who has helped me. I am just over whelmed with all this! I just want to lay out a board size ie. 6" X 24" then add the font I want and make it a raised or recessed letter. Then add a Vector Art 3D pattern and carve it.

That is what I do when I hand rout my signs. I have stencils I lay out the name and then hand draw a pattern or use a stencil pattern. Then I hand carve it.

James if I understand you correctly I should be able to all this in V Carve? Oh my head!!!!!! Ok I am trying to learn Corel. The book that came with it doesn't really help. So jack I will go to you tube and check it out.

Again thanks all and I am going give Corel a go.

Rick

jamesb
12-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Yes you can do all you said in VCarve Pro. I would not bother with Corel until you can do some basic design in VCP. My hunch is it will do all you need and more. Open a new file, create a sheet to the size you want. Create some text, position it and and assign the text vector a vcarve toolpath. IN theory its ready to run (if you have the right tools). If this sounds complex then I would suggest watching the VCP Tutorials (contact them if you do not have the latest ones)? I am sure if you sat through them you would be up and running quickly.

Thanks, James

rc_woodworks
12-06-2007, 04:39 PM
James, what about importing a pattern from Vector Art? I have a tutorial from VCarve, but it shows a sign designed in Corel. I will look for the lastest demos Thank you again James!

Rick

jben007
12-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Hello James ,Does all this talk remind you of something .You and I had the same conversation months ago.I still think there is room in the market for another program the combines the simple features that both Vectric and Designer(Lhr) have incorporated, while also having some of the more sophisticated features.For example I think Designer handles the simple task of Wrapping ,placing,sizing text in a much more logical and simple manor compared to artcam ,but artcam has more advanced features not found in other program.
Overall, I agree with all of you ,you just have to sit down and spend time with the software....and learn it.
Ben

rc_woodworks
12-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Ben, I am not willing to learn. I just don't know where to look. The book that came with it is worthless. I don't want to waste anymore money buying Bobcam or anything else. I was just hoping there was something out there more user friendly.

My back ground is not in electronics or computers. I was a cop and had no need for Corel. Then with my signs I hand routed and hand laid out my signs.

I am about ready to call it quits, I haven't even put my ShopBot together. I need a break.

Rick

jben007
12-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Rick ,I wasn't picking on you, it was just a few months ago I was asking James the same questions.
Oh....your not going to quit .
Just keep looking at the tutorials when you are in the mood to, don't force yourself you will only get more frustrated.I was in your same boat exactly ,I had just had back surgery, bought the CNC and expected to start the software and make something great happen....but it's not that easy. I soon realized I was in a different ballgame.Just take it slow.
When you are able ,finish getting the shopbot together.I found that one of the best teachers is simply trail and error.Design a very small project ,maybe just some V-bit machining some Vector text.Save you file and go out to the machine and run it.The shopbot will seem strange at first,but just keep designing simple files ,run them and check your results and they should also look like any simulations you ran.Your software should have the ability to simulate the actual carving of your stock.Then you can zoom, rotate and see how it looks ,when you are satisfied ,go try it out.Remember ,I was in your shoes just a few month's ago.....so I know how it feels, that's why you were on your quest to find a cnc version of designer,well you can quit that search it's not there.But, there are plenty of more powerful packages.So just slow down and take it day by day
Ben

zeykr
12-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Rick,
Reading the description of what you want to do, I have to agree with James that Vcarve Pro is all you need to learn for now. It will do everything you are asking for at this point including import Jame's Vector Art 3d files if you use his free 3d software. At some point you may progress to needing more capable (and therefore more complex) software, but if you've mastered VC Pro, learning other software will come much easier then.

Take the time to download all the vcarve tutorials from their website and the pdf's that go with them and don't just watch the video, follow the pdf's and do the examples yourself - I think you'll catch on pretty quickly and find it does what you need at this point.

Next ask here or on the vectric forum for a vcarve user near you who would let you visit their shop and spend an hour or two getting you started. Next, watch the shopbot camp schedule and go to one near you - it's worth the time!

butch
12-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Rick
I have both V Carve Pro and Corel X3. I knew nothing about either program when I started and learn more each day I use them.
I down loaded the tutorials from Corel Web site. By going to Help and To Coral_Tutor you will find some very nice tutorials. They are about how to make a sign and walks you through the design and how to input the design. They were very helpful for me, and really didn't take very long to go through. I still go back to them when I have questions.
As well, the VCarve site has very helpful and easy to follow tutorials. Again I go back and pick up something each time I go through them.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Butch

joewino
12-07-2007, 09:34 AM
If you go to www.lynda.com (http://www.lynda.com) you can find tutorials on just about any software out there. The cost is $25 a month and you have unlimited use to all tutorials. Each one is about seven or eight minutes and you can follow along with each step.

I log on and go through a few lessons every few days just as a refresher. Also, any time I upgrade they will have lessons on the new features of each software package.

It's a lot easier than trying to read a book.

bill.young
12-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Hey Raymond,

That's a great find!

jsfrost
12-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Rick,

Maybe I misunderstand, but It seems to me that you are seeing the process as more complex than it needs to be. Simple signs without the 3D can be done very quickly with simple software, including the software that comes with the Shopbot. No need for Corel or Vcarve Pro or Bobcad or anything else. Any of these will help you achieve more advanced results results. VCP adds a lot of capability for relatively little money and (under a different name) comes with a new Shopbot. But deciding which is right for you is probably something you should do after working through the basics with whatever software you presently have.

Take a short break, put the machine together, start simple, make some signs, and show us the results. You can be cutting signs you can sell in a few days. Then decide what advanced features you want to add, and research the software to get there.

There will always be others designing and cutting things far more advanced than you or I can achieve. It can be rocket science, but it does not often need to be.

sagreen83
12-07-2007, 12:12 PM
All,

Not sure if you have seen the software that comes with the Carvewright, but it is super simple compared to any of the software we are using for our bot. Basically you do all of your layout and design in the 3d space. They have a library of pre-built designs that are 3d rendered, and you drag them into the layout. You dont even tell it how deep you want it. You just resize it to fit the space. Very simple. But somewhat inflexible when it comes to customization. I actually picked one of these up to see what it was all about. They are SUPER simple to use if you dont have a background in CNC.

Rick,

go check out www.vectorart3d.com (http://www.vectorart3d.com). This company has been making 3d CNC designs for a long time. You can now buy there designs in both shopbot and carvewright formats. The shopbot format is ready to import into Cut-3d or VCarve pro (both by vectric). They have a free piece of software called 3d Machinist (I think this is the name), that will generate toolpaths for the shopbot. You can import these 3d designs into the software and cut pretty easilly.

At the end of the day, there is no way around it. If you want to use your bot to it's potential, you are going to have to learn the software. Vectric has some good videos to learn each of the aspects of V-carve pro, so I would start there. Text is not hard either, but you have to have a basic understanding of toolpaths, that you dont have to think about as much with the Carvewright.

Scott...

rc_woodworks
12-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks Scott I already have several Vector Art 3D patterns and with the CW designer you can set the depth of the cutting.

I appreciate all the help I am so over whelmed I can't think straight. So I am taking a break and choose what works best for me. I may go with the new Bobcad I may try Artcam I know right now I am not happy with Corel and V Carve is not on top of my list either! Sorry James I can't figure out how I can just use VCP I can't even import on of your patterns into it.

I come from the background of sign making where I do everything by hand. Computer is not second hand for me. So I will get this I need to learn I have too much money invested.

Rick

burchbot
12-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Hi Rick
Did you do this before you tried to bring it into VCP.The 3D clip art models from www.vectorart3d.com (http://www.vectorart3d.com) are first machined in the free VA3D-Machinist program. VCarve Pro then imports the toolpaths and a grayscale thumbnail preview from the 3D Machinist files.
Dan

rc_woodworks
12-08-2007, 05:44 PM
No I haven't tried the clip art. I have several patterns in various formats. Thanks Dan I will look into it.

Rick

joe
12-20-2007, 06:26 AM
Rick,

This has to be the most free advice anyone could expect to get on a CNC froum.

James Booth is the Guru on the subject. I'd do what he says. I've know him for years and he goes strait to the point. Make my head hurt.

rc_woodworks
01-01-2008, 11:47 PM
A little late but thank you to all that helped me. I asked only because I thought the forum was to help each other?

I do appreciate all the e-mails and the help from James Booth I met James at the Shopbot jamboree and he has been a good friend.

So joe forgive me if I upset you asking for help as you said for free. When I do become more knowledgeable in using my SB. I will not hesitate to help anyone who finds their self stress out as I am.

Thanks again to those who helped!
Rick

ed_lang
01-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Rick,
What software are you using now to create your signs?

Do you find it easy and like it?

Ed

joe
01-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Rick,

Sorry you miss-interperted my post. The point is there is so much adivce given I can't imagine how a novice would sort it out.

About posting: I've spent many hours, over the years, giving step by step demo's and adivice on sign making and CNC business development. Perhaps you could do a search to see some of this.

Unfortunate we've gotten off to a bad start!

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

andyb
01-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Rick,
First sorry for the long post. My comments and suggestions below are no offense to you or anyone. I run across this situation all the time. I have over 22 yrs of experience with PC and software support. I still learn something new everyday. (Disclaimer: I don’t work for SB, Vectric or Corel. Oh, or BobCAD.) If you are frustrated by Corel, VCarve or other software that you’ve been playing around with then you will be frustrated by BobCAD. The guy showing you the demo of BobCAD was an expert at BobCAD. His job is to make it look easy. A salesman for Corel can make Corel look so easy that you would swear it is the easiest software on earth to use. That’s his job.

Way back when I worked for Lotus supporting Ami Pro (a word processor) and Lotus 1-2-3. When I started I had a little working knowledge of both programs but did not use them on a regular basic. My first day on the job, I was handed a manual (that was back when they actually printed the manual) and told to start reading. I read it front to back, every single page. I was then tested on it. Our slogan was “We read the manual so you don’t have to” and we did. Working in the programs 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week and in 3 months I knew the programs inside and out. I could walk a user through the steps of creating a paragraph style without even opening Ami Pro. I was the expert. That was my job. My point is, don’t think that BobCAD is easier than VCarve Pro or Corel because the salesman made it look that way. That’s his job.

My suggestion is to take baby steps. The general rule is don’t expect to learn any software in less then 6 months (not that you are) unless you work with it 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week. Start with one software program (in my opinion - VCarve Pro) and learn it enough to get you by. Download the VCarve Pro tutorial from the Vectric website, do the tutorials several times (I did) if that is what it takes to learn the steps. You can be up and running in VCarve in a couple of days but can take 3 to 6 month to get a good working knowledge. Learn to do the simple stuff first like using the “Create Vector” tools and then build from it. Start with one tool like the “Draw Star”. Create a Star and then modify it. Use the online help if you need to. Create a v-carve toolpath for it, then a pocket toolpath and so forth. Sit down for 30 minutes (or longer) a night or during lunch and just play with it. Learn what each tool is and how to use it. The more you use it the more you’ll learn. Once you have a comfortable working knowledge then add the second package (Corel). Do the same as with the first program. Play with it 30 minutes a night.

If you get stuck then ask for help on the forum. If the software has its own forum and you have a question then search their forum for the answers, that‘s where you’ll find the experts for that software. Not that the SB community aren’t experts. Most everyone on the SB forum has one thing in common - a SB. On the Vectric forum they all have the use of the Vectric software in common and the same with the Corel forum. People are more than willing to help if they know the program. In 6 months you’ll be surprised at how much you’ve learned. You’ll be the Expert in no time and look back and laugh about it.

Andy B.

rc_woodworks
01-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Andy, thanks I know the the salesman that demo Bobcad was an expert and I never thought it would be easier then Corel, VCarve. What I liked about Bobcam is I can do everything in that software rather then design in one and export to another one. Plus it came with training videos.

So I have it all Corel, V Carve and Bobcad! I have been watching all the tutorials for Corel and V Carve and I managed to make a sign in Corel! So I am taking baby steps. I am recovering from back surgery and I am medically retired so I have time, well if life doesn't keep getting in the way!

My fair season doesn't start until the end of July , but the biggest issue is my back. So I am slowly learning. I have appreciated all the help from everyone.

Rick

rc_woodworks
01-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Joe,sorry I didn't see your post and no problem I am a bit stressed out with life in general and CNC issues! A little back ground I am a novice when it comes to CNC use, but not when it comes to making signs.

I have been making signs since I was 17, all hand routed. I continued even with my law enforcement career. Then through injures that forced me to medically retire, I fought starting a full time sign business!

After fighting I went all out and bought a portable shop to make signs at fairs. That was about 5 years ago and I have been doing it ever since. But my back continued to get worst to the point I had back surgery Oct. 30 th 2007. Before that I bought my SB and 2 CW. The CW worked great in my portable shop, but they have too many problems and the company has cut me loose!

So I am used to the easy great software of CW and I wanted a software that you design and execute in one program. James told me VCarve can do this and I have been trying and watching the training. I know you don't like Bobcam and I have disappointed many people. But I like what I saw and yes the salesman is an expert. The same goes with the rest if they were showing me their software!

Now I have Corel, Vcarve, Shopbot,and Bobcam! I plan to learn them all. As I have said, I really appreciate all the advice and help it has been wonderful! I am so happy I have a source to turn to. Joe don't worry about anything we are good! I will check out your site and if you want you can see my hand routed signs, www.rcwoodworksonline.com (http://www.rcwoodworksonline.com)

Again thanks so much,

Rick

rc_woodworks
01-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Wow I missed quite a few post, sorry Ed! I haven't learned any set software. Right now I am used to the Carvewright software. I like it it is easy and allows you to import Vector Art 3D patterns.

But it does not work with any other machines. So I am trying to learn Corel, VCarve pro and Bobcam. I agree find one and stick to it. I am impatient so I have bought a few programs!

Rick

espiolodocious
07-11-2008, 06:46 PM
EasySIGN. I think they sell it in different kits, and if you're in the sign making business, there are three different licenses you can get. It's pretty cheap compared to other sign making software.