PDA

View Full Version : Mitre Joints in ecab?

petesid
10-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Is there a way to do a cabinet with mitre joints.

So that the 45 degree cut goes horizontally across the material?

Similar to this http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_nibbo/2251603384/

Thanks!

benchmench
10-01-2009, 09:51 PM
It can probably be done with eCabs and a 45 degree bit but a tablesaw would probably be faster and easier.

Gary Campbell
10-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Pete...
There is a couple ways to do it.
1) you could edit the parts and apply a 45 bevel to the edge. Takes fairly long and I am not sure cabinets would be able to resize.
2)Apply negative insets to allow all parts to be mitered on saw or router. This is the method that is used with the ecabs corner cabinets with mitered corners.
Gary

bleeth
10-02-2009, 06:59 PM
The foto shows a face frame construction so may not apply to the box.
If you wish to do the box mitered I cut all my parts to finish size and use a raised fence clamped to the table saw fence. with a right tilt saw, put the fence and blade in the correct spot and the fall goes under the raised fence and sits there. All miters get cut at once. No wierd math or usual issue with cutting miters. I've used it to build miter folded cubes. Perfect every time.

Gary Campbell
10-02-2009, 08:55 PM
I interpreted "the miter" as one between the box and face frame. If wrong, I retract.

Here are some comments from Dennis Englert:

The miters can be designed by taking each face frame member into the Part Editor. Miters are not included as basic joinery methods in eCabinet Systems like full dados and blind dados. While it is not a feature that's somewhat automated like other joinery methods, it can be accomplished fairly quickly. Then once this cabinet is done and saved to a library other cabinets can be generated from it.

Gary Campbell mentioned that he didn't know how it would work if the part was resized. The parts can be restricted in the Constraint Manager by dimensioning the height and width of the miter. If you do not constrain it and change either the width or height of the cabinet, the miter would skew or stretch. If you changed both height and width equally, then the 45 will probably be maintained. I haven't tested that, since you would or should constrain it.

Looking at the photos you linked to. It appears that the face frame is rabbetted into the carcass and there is a full dado into the face frame for the partitions. Is that correct? I just found thought that was an interesting method. I've trained a lot of people on cabinets, but have not had anyone attach the frames in this method, if it is rabbeted. Several would cut a groove in the outer stiles that would mate to a tenon on the cabinet sides. Some would attach the same way to partitions, but not as many did that.

If the face frame used "sheet goods", the miters on the face frames would be cut as drawn. The puzzle joint would not work with that method. The rabbet on the back of the face frames (if that's what it is) would be problematic at a CNC or I'm thinking they would not be cut in the nest, but then it might, since all the cuts could come from the back side. That rabbet would also be implemented in the Part Editor. You'd have to test that. More than likely you are using board stock, so you'd be using traditional methods (table saw and chop saw) and these comments are not pertinant.

I had one customer who used something he called a "haunching" machine. I was able to demonstrate how to do that in eCabinets with the Part Editor and Constraint Manager, but it was quite a bit more complex especially when constraining it. For the haunch, the rails had a 45 degree chamfer that was about 1/4"x1/4". If it was a top rail the chamfer would be on the bottom edge on both ends. The stile would be cut to mate to the rail. A mid-stile or mid-rail would be chamfered on all corners. The mating parts would be cut to accept that shape. There was also a bead that intersected at the chamfer. The cabinet could be resized, etc. and everything worked pretty well. You did have to put a lot of thought into the constraints.
The real issue was that if you wanted to change the configuration of the mid-stiles and mid-rails, you'd have to repeat a lot of the previous work.
In comparison, the miter that you are requesting is very simple. end quote

Dennis explains this well, but I still feel that the shortest cut times can be accomplished with full size parts and a saw. Some things are just not made to be cut on a CNC.
Gary