PDA

View Full Version : Before i was Crumley inspired

dakers
07-25-2009, 05:24 PM
44204,ep}

back in the day before the people like Crumley to inspire me we did alot of simple signs like these wehre there were not many shapes or panels or flares. The focus was on the layout but not so much the overall sign. These are also redwood and hdu before the cnc router. It seems so easy to look back now and see how i could have improved signs we did. i think we were afraid to go too far because our perception was the customer would not want to spend more. I am not sure if we were right or wrong about that.

powerlsc
07-25-2009, 06:01 PM
I am from the "less is more" design school. Just because there are 64 crayons in the box doesn't mean you have to use everyone to get a pretty picture.

I'm glad there are all different tastes and approaches to design on this forum.

dakers
07-25-2009, 06:13 PM

lynn, here is one that i did using more crayons. i did not have room to put more than one on the sign.
this is also painted redwood sandblasted but could have been hdu, etc. looks rather croweded to me now. In the crayon drawing on top i should have put an entire family beside the tree. It is probably symbolic of me trying to hide

powerlsc
07-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Dick, very clever. Thank goodness there are sign artists willing to share their tips and tricks.

If you remember from my posts I'm still learning to use the software and my bot has been fired up only a handful of times. I'm great at circles in the air!

People have asked where I learned my craft and can't believe it when I tell them it's from sign folks on the internet.

Thanks for sharing.

navigator7
10-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Does anybody know of anyone using a ShopBot to create humorous signs.....or perhaps...dare I say it.....Using ShopBot for creating political satire???

I'm on the cusp of starting a faux rock water feature biz.
There are two way to go:
Quality or quality.
I've got this nagging passion to put humor, comedy or some significant art into my work.
Placing letters into concrete and stone is very hard and very custom. Adding curious faces, cartoon or political characters into a feature is very appealing to me.
Some of you may know abot Bev Doolittle, the artist.
She started including comedy and mischief in her work and prospered because of it.
An example:
http://www.artifactsgallery.com/art/12803.jpg