PDA

View Full Version : A little Help Please!

bpfohler
07-07-2008, 06:05 PM
I've been asked to produce some signs for a local golf course. They're sponsor signs that are to be affixed to the hole markers.
The markers are granite and I'm not sure if there's an option (other than drilling) to fasten them so they can be removed/changed.
I'm also not sure what to use for material? Most of what I do is MDO or SignFoam.
Would King Colorcore (or something similar) work, can the edges be finished and how expensive is it?

joewino
07-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Precision Board has HDU in 40# densities that is almost like stone. You might check into that - it can be routed, painted, etc.

Solid surface counter material (Corian) is also available and no painting is necessary.

bpfohler
07-07-2008, 06:59 PM
How would the letters in corian be colored?

billp
07-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Robert,
Paint ( using a paint mask would make this faster/neater), colored epoxy poured into the V grooves, or a commercial product like "Inlace" would all do the job.
As far as fastening them to the granite if they are going to be changed very often you could probably silicone a small piece of material to the granite, and then use a temporary glop to affix the signs to this piece. I think most places would frown on drilling into the granite ( and it's not a lot of fun anyway.....).
Colorcore is what is used at most golf courses I have been to because the material is weatherproof, and pretty grafitti proof as well. Another added advantage is that once you do the cutting, you are done, NO finishing, edges are done as well...
In my area a 1/2"thick sheet is $237, and a 3/4"sheet is $353. Those prices are from Harbor Sales.net

Gary Campbell
07-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Robert..
We have Cut letters in Corian clones and filled the letters with 2 part seaming adhesive in a contrasting color. It sets in a few minutes and sands or polishes as good as anything. I think the adhesive is a 2 part methacrylate. Its one of those catalyzed products that I love and Bill P. hates.
"Better Living With Harsh Chemicals"
Gary

bryson
07-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Robert,
I'll add to what Bill said, you can also use polyester gel coat. V-carve to 1/16" with a large stepover, over fill and sand smooth. I also use Rowmark. You can get it with adhesive backing. It works like ColorCore but come in 1/16" and 1/8".

billp
07-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Ahhhh the smell of Bondo in the morning. It smells like ( brain) damage.....