PDA

View Full Version : Bitmap to usable

reesecrenshaw
01-13-2005, 03:27 PM
I am wanting to take bitmaps and make them in to a tool path that is 2D, I what to know how and what I need to do to do this. I have Rhino, and PW. Thanks for the help.

joe
01-13-2005, 11:14 PM
Reece,

I think you've come to the right forum for this question, as lots of our folks do this all the time.

You are going need a good trace program that does the raster to vector steps. There can be real skill when doing a complex, low resolution bitmat. I would suggest you consider outsourcing a bitmat or two first. Just to see. When you have a poor bitmat, it can take some clean up time.

Our little shop uses FlexiSign Pro which has a very good trace program and all the bridges for cutting vinyl. You probably don't need this kind of program.

Lets see if some of our fellow router friend can give a hand.

jay
01-14-2005, 03:50 AM
Try convert to vector art. (http://www.convert2vector.com) They are very reasonable in price and have a quick turnaround. They have done a good job for me.

I figure why waste my time when I can be earning more money while these guys are doing the conversion.

bjenkins
01-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the link, Jay. This is a great find. You only have to spend time doing this once to know it's worth a few bucks to get it done. Their rates seem very good. Have you sent really clean images or some that were more challenging?

jay
01-15-2005, 12:18 AM
I have sent them some real dirty stuff and it has come back very very clean and all layered as well. They seem to know what they are doing. And talk about cheap, hmm I wonder if that is why they are in India?

I was using a guy in Sudbury, Ontario but he wrote to tell me he was giving up, he just could not compete. I would rather use someone local but no one here wants to do it.

I figure the more work I send these people the longer they will be around so they can help me when I really need them. I would far rather be cutting something then cleaning up artwork. Nothing says I can't mark up the results and make some money instead of using my lack of talent unwisely.

webbhead
01-15-2005, 02:01 AM
Service looks sweet. Too bad it's sending US dollars to someone else's economy. On the other hand, that's painful monotony. I'd go insane if I did that for a living, & I don't know anyone around here who'd do it at a price I'd be willing to pay. Do they have vector graphics on demand?

mikejohn
01-15-2005, 08:01 AM
John
You live in a world economy.
They can only import American made goods to the value of goods they sell to America. You don't buy globally, you can't sell globally.
........Mike

jay
01-15-2005, 09:55 AM
John, if you are asking if they have stock drawings, I believe the answer is no.

Vector graphics on demand, they have turned stuff around for me in less than 24 hours. A lot faster than me trying to work time into my schedule to do it myself.

shaddy
02-25-2006, 05:59 PM
You can also use Pete. I don't have a shopbot yet, but I do some laser engraving and have used Pete numorous times for raster to vector conversions.
http://home.wi.rr.com/bertrandart/vector_art.html

Shaddy